Laying Low (Age of Ultron 2015)

Start from the beginning

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" The daughter say, making said person turn to her and give her a smile.

"Why don't you hug her and find out?" She playfully says before carrying the girl into her arms for a short hug before setting her back down.

"Clint, I didn't know you had a family. Did Fury set this up for you?" Y/N asks.

"Yup, after I joined too, he kept it out of S.H.I.E.L.D's files, like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low." Clint answers before Thor accidentally steps on some Lego bricks, gaining the attention of Steve as he kicks them under a chair. Y/N walks over to Laura before shaking her hand, when she soon realizes his metal enhancements but doesn't question it. Then Natasha comes over and places her hands onto Laura's bulging stomach.

"How's little Natasha, huh?" She asks her.

"She's...Nathaniel." Laura says, making Natasha's smile turn into a frown before leaning closer to her stomach before whispering something to the baby.

"Traitor." Is what she says, making both Y/N and Laura chuckle. Suddenly, Thor walks out of the house in a hurry while Steve follows after, so Y/N decides to do the same.

"Thor." Steve calls out to the god.

"I saw something, in my dream. I need answers, and I won't find them here." He answers to them before he spins his hammer and leaves the farmstead. Once he's gone, Steve and Y/N look to each other before they head back inside, hoping to lay low for the upcoming days.

(An hour later)

The team is starting to settle into Clint's homestead, as Bruce, Natasha, and Laura are inside while Clint and his kids, Steve, and Tony are outside, with the last two chopping up some wood and the second three are doing some measuring for some renovations to the house. Y/N,  however is currently sitting on the wooden fence, looking at the big field ahead of him. In his hand is the pager that Carol had given to him, and is debating whether to ask for her help on this Ultron problem or not. Before he can make his decision however, he is Bruce, who pats him on the shoulder and leans on the wooden fence.

"Y/N, we haven't done a mentor-protege talk in a while. So, I thought this would be a good time to have one now that we're laying low." Bruce suggests, and said person doesn't protest to it. "So how are you dealing with this entire thing?" He asks his protege.

"I should be asking you that, Bruce. You were still manipulated by the Maximoff girl. I could've stayed and protected you from her, but I was being selfish." Y/N says with regret.

"That's not even remotely true. Yes, you weren't able to protect me, but you doing it out of instinct is what sets the two of us apart. You're not selfish, Y/N. You are a kindhearted soul." Bruce says with a fatherly tone in his voice, and Y/N just stays silent throughout.

"What about "him"?" Y/N asks, referring to Banner's other side.

"You and I both know that the other guys wants to fight you..." Bruce responds, but he gets a chuckle from him, which he does not expect.

"He can try, but all he'll get is six fists, punching him with enough force to dent Vibranium." Y/N jokes, making the two of them chuckle with amusement. Their laughter slowly fades before they start to talk about what they've seen when Wanda had done her mind games on them.

"What did you see, Bruce, when she used her powers on you?" Y/N asks.

"I...I-I saw, Betty, and Natasha. They were scared of me, and when I turned behind me, I saw a crowd of people look scared of me. And before I knew it, the other guy went on a rampage in the city. If it weren't for Tony I would've killed a lot of people." He lets out all of his emotions while Y/N just listens, feeling sympathy for his mentor.