η ομάδα γονιδίων: the gene pool

Comenzar desde el principio

"Is that why Kara is helping him?" James nodded.

"In part. Kara also feels a level of kinship to him that she doesn't share with some of the others." Lena tilted her head to the side curiously. And James continued. "I don't know what Kara told you about where she came from, but her city was destroyed by a rogue monster. She's never told anyone which one, though. She lost everything before she was taken by Zeus and brought to the Danvers."

Lena glanced over at Kara, who had sweat dripping down her bicep. "You sure you should be telling me this? Like, shouldn't she tell me herself?" Lena asked.

"It's painful for her to talk about. She asked me to talk to you about it. She doesn't like to relive the memories, but said that as a part of the group, you deserved to know." James replied. Lena bit her lip, looking over at Kara, who glanced her direction and smiled. "But Mon-El's family and town were destroyed in much the same way. They bonded over it. They're really the best of friends now." James said. "Not that Kara isn't really close with all of us, especially her sister. But there's something unique about her relationship with Mon-El."

Lena nodded, understanding how Kara could feel that way. And while Lena couldn't understand herself what they felt like, her heart ached for her friends. It must have been horrible. For both of them. "Thanks, for telling me, James." The man nodded, placing a hand on Lena's shoulder.

"No problem. She really likes you, you know. Kara. She's always been her usual sunshiny self, but ever since you came here, it's been a whole new level. So I'm glad you're here. I know we don't talk much, outside of homework of course, but if you ever want to, you know where to find me." He said with a nod. Lena gave James a lopsided smile, nodding back.

***

One thing that Lena did enjoy was books. She loved to read. Sometimes she would decide to spend her free period on her own, on the quad with a book. One such day, Lena had decided to sit in the grass, in the sunlight with a book. Her aviators over her eyes, laying stomach down in the warm grass.

Elsewhere on campus, Kara was plotting. Not in an evil way. But she had roped Mon-El and Winn into helping her. "Guys, Lena hasn't been through group initiation yet!" Kara said quietly though the raven-haired girl was nowhere within earshot.

"Well, we can't deny her that!" Winn said with a smirk while Mon-El just laughed. He had gotten to know Lena well enough to know that she was going to hate it. But it was like the right of passage in their group. Every time they added someone new, Kara took it upon herself to sneak up on them while they're unaware, tackle them and engage in a tickle fight. But while he knew that Lena would hate it, a part of him really want to see what Lena was going to do to Kara. He had eyes. And even if the two didn't know it yet, he could see what was starting to develop between them.

Winn was a little wary of jumping Lena like that, but also knew it was tradition. He had come to really like Lena. She would listen to him geek out about tech, even when she didn't understand a thing. The only other person that really listened to him like that was James. Kara too sometimes, but with her hyperactivity, it made it a little hard sometimes. So they usually did more active things together. Lena was smart and nice, though a little shy and quiet. He suspected that she was a daughter of Athena.

There was actually a pool going around the group of who Lena's parent was. Maggie had started it, obviously, her competitive streak not being able to resist. Winn, Alex, and James all had their money on Athena. Lena was too smart to not be a daughter of Athena. Though Maggie decided to go with Aphrodite, saying that a girl that hot (to the ire of her girlfriend) couldn't be from a different dorm.

Mon-El went with Hades. Another child of the Big Three. The entire group said that was the most unlikely of all the choices people had picked. But Mon-El stood by it. While Lena visibly enjoyed being with the group, she also tended to be the solitary and quiet one too. She was also very independent from some of the discussions he had with her. She shared the calm and cool demeanor with the God of Death and Mon-El could almost feel the power radiating from her. Far more than a child of a lesser God.

And that left Kara to guess Hermes. When she talked to Lena, she confided in her that she was also sort of the outcast back home and that she always had a knack for her persuasive streak, both hallmarks of the God of Travelers. But Lena still had yet to be claimed, so the bet went on.

So the three went on a search for Lena. They eventually did find her laying in the grass on the quad with a book, completely unaware of her surroundings. "This is too perfect!" Kara squealed quietly to the two men. Since it was Kara's thing, they weren't going to join her, but both Mon-El and Winn wanted to see what was going to happen.

So they waited and Kara slowly approached Lena from behind. Kara snuck up to Lena very quietly, managing to get within a few feet of her without being detected. And all of the sudden Kara yelled, to get Lena's attention. And then pounced.

***

Lena was enjoying her book in peace, lazily enjoying a Friday afternoon when she heard a loud yell behind her. She jumped, extremely startled and turned around to see Kara Danvers about to pounce on her. Lena yelped, putting her hands in front of her face, her eyes tightly closed.

There was a bright flash of light that Lena could make out, even from behind her closed eyes with a bang. Lena had braced for a body to collide with hers, but one never came. So she cautiously opened her eyes to see Kara sprawled out on the grass a few feet from her, laying on her back. She panicked, hoping that she hadn't hurt her friend and quickly got up to make her way over to Kara. She was so focused on the blonde that she failed to notice the entire student population that had seen the event was staring at her with wide eyes and open mouths.

Winn elbowed Mon-El, "Looks like no one won the bet." He whispered to the taller male.

Lena knelt down next to Kara who was shaking off the shock, sitting up. "Oh my Gods Kara. I'm sorry! I don't even know what happened. You just surprised me. One minute I was enjoying my book and the next there you were!" Lena said, almost hysterical. Kara cut her off.

"I'm okay Lena, don't worry. But what was that!?" Kara asked. Lena shrugged.

"I have no idea." She said, standing up, offering Kara her hand, who accept it and Lena pulled Kara to her feet. There was a moment's pause before Lena's entire life changed. Lena felt a new warmth envelop her body. She watched Kara back away from her slowly. Lena was going to ask her what was wrong, reaching out a hand, but stopped. She noticed that her hand was glowing. She looked down at herself and her entire body was glowing yellow. She frowned as Alex stepped forward, her and Maggie having appeared on the quad as well.

"She has been claimed!" Alex announced to the entire quad. Lena's heart leapt. The entire quad bent down on one knee in front of her. Lena could see Winn, Mon-El, Maggie and Kara all on their knee, but looking up and smiling at her. She chuckled when Mon-El gave her a subtle thumbs up. "All hail Lena Luthor, daughter of the Sun God!"

***

Kara stared up at Lena from her place on the ground in awe of her glowing friend. She watched as the glow steadily disappeared. Kara slowly stood from the ground, still gazing at her friend who was looking at a bit uncomfortable at all the attention people were giving her before looking at Kara. The dark haired girl smiled nervously at Kara, who gave Lena a bright grin.

Kara's heart leapt at the new revelation about her friend.  Kara had once been lucky enough to receive a prophecy from Aphrodite about her future love. And Lena was seeming to be more and more to fit the bill. Not that Kara was complaining, from the first time Kara saw Lena on her first day, she had instantly been taken by the freshmen. And ever since Maggie had drug Lena into their circle of friends, Kara had made sure to make Lena feel as welcome as possible.

And now Kara was beginning to understand why she had such an instant connection with Lena. Aphrodite had once told Kara that she was destined to fall in love with the daughter of a sun god. Someone who is neither light nor dark. One that exists in the shades of gray in between. A halfblood with a power the world had never seen in a halfblood before. Lena's photokinesis certainly fit the bill. Though what concerned Kara was the second part, one neither of light nor dark. The gods had a funny way of expressing prophecy and that could mean either nothing at all. Or it could mean everything.