Chapter 12: Competition

We will be leaving at 7 AM. I'm hoping that I won't get the worst outcome for this day. To make things sure, I should be expecting what the worst outcome will be.

"Philip, even if you don't win the competition, you should be proud of what you have achieved."

Selected people only have the chance to carry the name of their school. I should be grateful for being selected in this position.

"Thank you mom for always believing in your son."

Once I enter the vehicle towards our destination, there will be no turning back.

It's 6:43 AM, being early is better than being late. I should get going.

I can't help but to feel uneasy the whole ride, I wish that I had someone to talk to distract me from this feeling.

Upon our arrival, the contest started. The place was crowded and there were food stalls here and there. This event is pretty well planned judging by the environment.

The announcer is about to start.

"This is the annual competition for literature. Today we will be joined by...."

I didn't pay attention to what the announcer and others were saying. I'm just too anxious to care.

"Each participant and their coach will receive a copy of other schools' works."

Is it mandatory to read others' output? I'm too lazy to read a ton of text today.

"Sir Nate, is it required for me to read those?"

"No, why?"

"This may seem a bit contrary to why I'm here but I hate reading blocks of text."

"Then why did you say to your class that you like reading other forms of literature?"

How did he know that, and is he scolding me on why I lied? Whatever, I'll just say what's on my head.

"The reason I said that to the class is because I liked reading manga. My hobby felt a little uncommon so I tried to take a somewhat similar route to what I liked doing."

"I was planning to treat you by buying you a book but now that you said that, I'll just buy you a manga."

"Heh! Really?"

The guy whom I just talked to is Sir Nate. He is my coach and the teacher who introduced me to the literature office. To me, I thought I was just one of his pawns but when he said that he was going to treat me for how I'm doing. I'm no mere pawn, I'm a queen to his chess piece.

No no no, that was an overstatement, maybe just a rook.

I'm glad that I brought one of the manga I bought while on the way to school.

After an hour or two passed of us silently staring on pieces of paper, the judges finally came up with a conclusion.

The idea of being ashamed left my body when I figured that I don't have to present in front of the crowd, and even if I lose, I'll just remember what my mother said to be. 'To be proud of what you've achieved'.

"After reading the works of the other schools, I'm pretty sure that you will win."

That came out of nowhere. Is sir Nate serious about what he just said? I'm not used to being praised to that extent.

"I have my doubts because I wasn't really paying attention to your lectures."

I'm still no good and sir Nate is probably saying that to lighten my mood since I was gloomy since the day started.

"You know, talent and skill are two distant words for me."

"Why did you say so?"

"Talent is an ability that is obtained and cultivated since birth while skill is an ability that requires high attention and effort to master."

Despite the fact that I understand every word he said, I don't get the point sir Nate is trying to convey.

"If my intuition is correct, then you're a talented person."

Confidence: 75% -> 88%

I didn't know that sir Nate valued that much. I feel indebted to him. I know how to repay him, I'll do my best starting now.

Am I starting to regain all my confidence, no but even if I'm not at my peak right now, I need to thank the people who helped me get this far.

"Thank you sir!!"

Why are there tears coming out? These tears aren't from sorrow nor fear, is this the thing called tears of joy.

"Why are you crying? Did I do something?"

Fix your composure and give him a reassuring smile, that is what I should do.

"I don't know why you're crying but it seems that there's no need to worry."

The announcer appeared.

"The results are done, and the winner of this competition is..."

Remember what your mother told you, 'even if you don't win, you should be proud of what you've achieved'.

"Philip Ruggrazer!"

I won, holy shoot I won.

I looked at sir Nate's expression and he's giving me a smug. He's right, I'm talented at this and I won. Thank you for believing in me.