⋙ Chapter Twenty-Three

Comenzar desde el principio

“I’ve got you again? What are the chances of that?” Detective Inspector Dobbs said as I entered. His presence set me even more on edge, until I noticed something wrong with his character. The snide expression was non-existent. He looked slightly disgruntled. I assumed it was because of Mr Howard’s unexpected appearance.

The questioning wasn't as bad as before. Perhaps it was because I’d experienced it before. Or it maybe it was because the inspector had a far away look in his eyes, his mind elsewhere. None of the questions involved Tyler that time, which made it a little easier. It was more about my family history, future plans, and if I supported the government. At the last question I said “Well I have to” by mistake.

Instead of questioning that response, Detective Inspector Dobbs just sighed.

The stimulation was different that time too. I had to run on a treadmill whilst shooting the targets for as long as possible. I only released small bursts of water. Most didn’t hit the bullseye. I’d never been great at running, and less than three minutes in I collapsed on the floor. After that, Dobbs determind I was still a substantial threat, but I could leave until further notice.

*

The moment I got into school on Monday, I made my way towards Mr Lester’s room. I wanted to check he hadn’t been put in a worse mess because of my minor slip up in the first interrogation. I pushed past the other students, some still nervous about the questioning. Some gave me cautious glances and shuffled out the way, obviously sensing the rush I was in. I got to the room, to find the door ajar for once. There were no noises coming out of it. Growing nervous at the peculiarity, I pushed the door open.

All the blinds were pulled down over the windows, making the room unusually gloomy. The walls were bare, stipped of the colourful posters Mr Lester had hung up. The whiteboard had his motivational quotes rubbed off. All the tables and chairs had been moved to other rooms, leaving it barren.

A tall figure stood in the centre of the room. As my eyes adjusted to the light, I realised it was Dan, standing apprehensively. Hearing my footsteps entering the room, he turned to face me. I think he’d been hoping I was Mr Lester. His eyes clouded over the moment he saw it was just me. His shoulders were fell forward like a raindrop, but tried to rectify his actions with a quivering smile.

“Where's Mr Lester?” I asked, my voice louder in the emptiness around us. 

He wiped his eyes, trying to act casual. “He’s packed up his stuff, you know, because  he’s not teaching anymore."

"Why?"

"Haven't you heard? The government’s made it made illegal to teach powergy. They had to get rid of him, and all the other powergy teachers.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” he said with a forced laugh. “I don’t know about you, but, uh, this sucks.”

I nodded. Powergy was one of my favourite subjects. Mr Lester had been a good teacher - a man with his heart in the right place. If he hadn’t taught me, I might’ve never had been with Tyler. He didn’t deserve to lose his job. I didn’t feel as big a loss as Dan though. He had spoken to him outside lessons. They'd seemed to be comfortable with one another - maybe they'd been friends? Whatever they'd labelled themselves, Dan knew a lot more about him than I did - or ever would.

Something about that was impossibly sad, but I guessed that was the way things had to be.

Before I could even think to comfort him, someone yelled “YOU CAN'T TAKE HER!”. I became aware of a loud stampede coming down the corridor. With a knitted brow I looked down the corridor.