So of-fucking-course I'd rather sunburn, than a broken nose and be on record for my life. I'll admit it, I was mostly all talk and no bite. I would be eaten alive.

After what I did I'm just surprised they gave me the option of community service. Luck, the only thing on my side in this world. And I had no fucking idea why. I didn't deserve to be lucky, if anything I deserved to be unlucky. My existence just proved the fact the wrong people had the universe's favor. 

I guess Beau gave me leeway once he heard about my offense. If it weren't for him I'd be on my way to federal prison right now. Instead, I'm up at ass crack early in the morning. Walking through the quiet bare streets to the beach.

I hated any and all cops, but at least Beau wasn't a class A prick like his officers.

Beau knew my uncle- before I guess. Whatever the fuck that meant.

The sun wasn't up yet, only a few here and there street lights guided the way. They didn't help much since I wasn't familiar with the surroundings, the sound of the ocean did though. Crashing waves, a helping for a very weary hand. 

A gritty, sticky sand stood under the soles of my shoes. Each singular grain in the crossed groves of the vans— felt invasive and all over the place. Taken, I probably shouldn't have worn them to the beach, I didn't have a choice. They told me to pack a bag, that's it. 

I was shipped off here, away from the big island because I suppose I was banned, whatever it was, it wasn't good.

The current rocks, slowly, at a perfect pace. Sucked back into the bright ocean, clung to the molding hills of sand. A seafoam circulating in my hair, weaving through the unruly curls. The sun peeked from under the skyline, barely showing its blinding face. Here I am, staring at the ocean as if it held all the solutions to my problems. Hell, maybe she did hold the mysteries of life. I doubt it. Being on this little touristy island was an actual nightmare, I would rather be back home, be anywhere than here.

The brightening shade of the sky was my timer, I had to leave the grungy comfort of the beach. It was hot and sweaty but something about the view made up for all the meddling rocks in every inch of my clothing.

I prop up from the indent I made, dusting off the back of my pants. With a scowl regretting the decision altogether.

Slowly under my soles, the ashy sands turn to small pebbles, soon after concrete. I leave to the area of the little family-owned shops, slugging past the early bird tourists that were the equivalent of parasites. Scoffing in my head, and in reality pouting, in hopes, no one starts a conversation with me.

And it's as if the universe hears me, creating my intrusive thoughts into reality. That calculating bitch.

The rustle of the leaves aid my distraction, deepening in a consuming sway of the fleeted, nearby ocean.  

"Hey!" I hear a woman's voice shout from down the way, one of the shops I'd just passed. Head down, head down. Maybe she'll think I have headphones in. I ignore the sound, hoping that said person isn't talking to me. Lord knows what I'll do if I have to greet another human in the next twenty-four hours. 

It was mundane and meticulous after being interrogated for hours, only to talk to several probation managers until one wanted to take up my confusing case. A peppy blonde lady, in her mid-age. She flirted with me the whole time... cougars, am I right?

Godsend.

My trainers shuffle down the grit of the pavement, ankles tickled by the outgrown grass to the side.