Even though Tess accepted this, Arthur didn't. Virion made this sound like some kind of favor, out of the kindness of his heart. But something about this made Arthur suspicious of the old man, like he was scheming something.

"Good. We'll give you two a minute. Arthur, we'll leave as soon as you're done," Virion said, and he and Aldir walked out of the tent, Sylvie jumping from Tess arms to follow them.

"I'm sorry I can't stay longer," Arthur said as he stepped in front of her. Tess didn't reply as she avoided his gaze. "You know, just because we can't see each other doesn't mean that we can't keep in touch." Tess looked back up to Arthur with a questioning look. "I know that communication scrolls are in high demand for the war, but I'm sure we could still send letters to one another."

Tess nodded as a smile formed on her face, while fighting back tears. "I'd like that."

Arthur stepped closer and placed a hand on her cheek as the other went to her waist, he leaned in, and the two shared a deep loving kiss.

—————————————————————

Arthur and Tess emerged from the tent, Tess following behind him with her fingers lingering in his hand as she tried to keep her pain from showing on her face. A few members from the unit had walked over in hopes of learning what was going on.

"Ready?" Aldir asked.

Tess stepped away from Arthur, her fingers slipping from his hand as she walked to her team.

"Yeah I'm ready." Arthur replied as Sylvie jumped back up to her usual perch on his shoulder.

Aldir nodded, and with a wave of his hand a teleportation gate appeared before them.

"Let's go," Virion said as he and Aldir walked to the gate.

Arthur looked back one last time to see Claire giving Tess a supportive side hug, as she gave a small smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. Arthur returned the smile before walking through the gate.

Moments later Arthur found himself in the cylindrical gate room of the floating castle, with Aldir and Virion standing at the heavy iron doors, as a guard used some kind of artifact. The doors clicked, then began moving as Arthur approached. As the doors opened, much to Arthur's surprise, instead of guards there was a large dark bear-like mana beast towering over him.

"Brother!"

Out of nowhere Ellie shot around the beast, past Virion and Aldir, and right into Arthur as she tackled him into a hug.

"Ellie!" Arthur replied as he returned the hug.

"Arthur!"

This time both his parents were rushing through, taking him and Ellie into a family hug. Arthur was completely taken back by this as happy tears poured from his eyes. Last time he saw his parents, right before Windsom took him for his training, Arthur told them about his past life. The reaction then was about what he expected, although he had hoped for better, as they both even questioned if he was even their son.

"I-I thought," Arthur sputtered out before his father cut him off.

"Thought what? We wouldn't still love you?"

"You're our son no matter what. We raised you from diapers to the fine young man you are today, nothing can change that," Alice added.

Despite his best efforts, Arthur couldn't contain his joy filled tears. The mood changed to humorous, as the large bear joined in, wrapping its massive paws around everyone and lifting them up.