Lunch

Paul's Point Of View

"Thats it?" I asked gesturing to her office bag. "How?" She laughed her beautiful laugh. "I have clothes over there as well, so I don't need much." She shrugged in a refined manner, then grabbed the keys and headed out. I followed.

It had been one and a half hours in the car when her phone rang. She answered it. "Hey" she said in a sing song way. "Wait a minute, let me connect the phone to the car." She said into the phone pausing to make a few changes using the touch pad of the vehicle. "Okay. I'm done. Don't say anything stupid, it's on speaker." She said to whoever was on the phone. "Well, that's going to be hard, considering I'm talking to you." Said a male voice. He spoke in English, but it was heavily accented. His tone was a sweet rumble, a sound that would make anyone instantly relaxed. "Very funny." She replied with a huge smile on her face as we turned onto a different road. The traffic was sparse, hardly any cars on the road. "Anyhow, I just called to ask when your flight will be landing?" The man asked. "7 pm the night before my birthday." She spoke. I noticed the houses being really far apart on either side of the road. "Cool. Alors quoi de neuf ?" He said. I glanced sideways at her as she took another turn, onto a road with thick trees on either side, big houses with huge lawns spaced far apart. "I can't talk right now, Val. I've reached home. Will call you later." She said in English.

So this was her beloved Valentin. The boy with green eyes and black hair. I hated this. I hated this feeling of jealousy and inferiority I felt when she talked to other men. I hated always ending up comparing myself to them.

"Babe." She said insistently. "Yeah?" I asked, coming out of my thoughts. "You weren't listening to me." She said.

"I'm sorry. Just got lost in my thoughts. What were you saying?" I asked gently.

"I was saying we're here." She answered. I looked out the window keenly.We were on a black road, green grass stretching on either side, big beautiful houses hidden behind thick trees.. At the end of the road was a large house. She left the car in the driveway, stepping out. "Come on." I went to get our bags from the trunk. "Someone will get those, let's go."

She grabbed my arm and began walking on a path between bushes to the front door of the house. Before we could ring the bell, the door opened and a blonde lady with fit with a well-defined figure opened it. "Oh!" She squealed and pulled Alexandra into a tight hug. Behind her stood a man with black hair and tanned skin, happiness gleaming in his deep blue eyes. Alexandra unattached from her mother and slammed herself into her adoptive father. She was tall, and so her head reached his cheekbone. He ruffled her curls with a gentle hand. I was watching them with pleasure.

"And you must be Paul. Hi. I am Amanda." She pulled me into a light embrace. Then I stepped forward and smiled at her father. "Paul." He nodded his head and held out his hand. I took it. He had a sure grip, like the one of a businessman. "Richard." He introduced himself. "Welcome to our home." I nodded. He was making me nervous. Could he simply just see that I was not good enough for her daughter? I had to be on my best behaviour, always. "Thank you, Sir." I squeaked. Was that my voice. Really?
"Alright. Lunch is ready, come along." Amanda announced. Alexandra gave me a reassuring look and squeezed my hand. "Its cool." She whispered, and let go. I followed her deeper into the house.

It was a house great As we exited the foyer, a staircase on the left led to the upper floor. A really nice light hung from the high ceiling. There were huge windows on the wall just in front of us, a table placed there with a vase full of flowers kept on it. A huge dark door was perpendicular to the left of the table and an open archway on its perpendicular right. Behind me, I heard someone shut the door. I turned to see a young man with blonde hair carrying our bags inside. We went inside the room with the big dark door.

The room was much larger than I imagined. As you entered, there was a luxurious seating area. A lavish arrangement of sofas and substantial seats. Forty people could have easily fit here. Behind it was a long glass wall, the length of my whole backyard, and before it was a ten people dining table. "You have a beautiful home." I commented to no one in particular. "Thank you." Replied Richard.

We took out seats. I sat next to Lex. I could have sat in her place, facing Amanda, but I thought I should sit facing Richard. Why, oh why did I dare to be so brave? A lady in a neat white apron poured our water. "Thank you, Jade." Amanda said. "She's new." Amanda told us. "When did you employ her?" Alexandra asked. "What about Kate?"

"Kate went to stay with her family." Amanda replied.

"Alright." Lex nodded

Jade, returned with some food.

"Paul, tell us how you met." Richard asked.

What the hell was I supposed to say. That she was drowning and I pulled her out? And then when I went back to Sam's I imprinted on her?

"I met him at a friend's house. Emily, I told you about her, remember?" Alexandra said. It was a pretty shitty answer, but it was something. Her eyes slid to me, and she kept her hand on my knee, under the table. "Yes. Emily." Amanda seemed to recall. "And then everywhere she went I was there." I stupidly decided to add. "That sounds an awful lot like stalking." Richard muttered. "Rick." Alexandra said in an accusing tone, her cheeks flushed, her lips pulled into an embarrassed smile. "I.....er.....I didn't mean it like that. We just happened to meet a couple of times."

And that was how the rest of the meal went. I decided it was best to simply shut up.

I was staying in the guest room on the ground floor, while her room was upstairs. My place was really nice. The bed was double the size of my own at home. The bathroom was great, all shiny marble. Alexandra and I had spent the day together. She took me shopping after lunch and now I had a bag full of amazing clothing next to my bed. I didn't even know how much it all cost. She had asked me to get her a bottle of water from somewhere, so I obviously went to fetch it. When I returned, she was waiting with the bag. Now I was lying in this bed, staring out the window, watching the sun set, its golden rays fading, when there was a knock on the door. "Come in." I said.

"I thought you'd be asleep." Al said as she sat at the foot of the bed. "No. I was just resting. Are you done with your packing?"

"Yes. We leave in an hour."

"How long is the flight?" I asked. I didn't know anything about this trip.

"Nineteen hours." She said as she smoothened the creases on the sheets, her eyes strained on the fabric.

"What are you thinking" I asked.

"Nothing at all. I just came to see you."

"Come here." I said. She climbed further onto the bed and lay next to me. My finger traced her arm. "What do your parents think of me."

"Mandy loves you. Rick likes you too, he would just like you better if you had a nicer job." She smirked. I had told them I worked on the reservation with Sam.

"And how would they like me, if they knew I was a werewolf?"

"I think they would give you credit for being a mythical creature."

We both laughed like kids watching a cartoon. I just stared at her beautiful face for the next few moments. Her hazel eyes, the colour of burnt honey in the deep sunlight. The arch of her high cheekbones. The frame that her curls created around her visage.

"I have to go." She whispered.

"Why?" I asked softly, afraid that I would shatter this moment as if it were made of the most fragile glass.

"I have to get a few things done. Some paperwork and payments."

"Okay." I spoke. "Go on." She kissed my forehead and left the room.

I was feeling a little tensed. I didn't belong here. I was from LaPush. I didn't even know how to handle all this elegance and class. The only thing I was looking forward to was going to France with her.