17. I feel murdery

It all went wrong almost immediately

It all went wrong almost immediately. Which isn't saying much considering it was a terrible plan. Hedge, Jason and I charged while Piper and Leo snuck to the right.

Jason summoned his golden lance. He brandished it over his head and yelled, "Giant!" Which sounded pretty good, and a lot more confident than I could've managed.

I summoned my sword and assessed the battle field trying to come up with some sort of plan.

Enceladus stopped chanting at the flames. He turned toward them and grinned, revealing fangs like a saber-toothed tiger's.

Shit! We're gonna die!

"Well," the giant rumbled. "What a nice surprise."

Coach Hedge shouted, "Let the movie star go, you big ugly cupcake! Or I'm gonna plant my hoof right up your—"

"Coach," Jason said. "Shut up." I shook my head and sighed.

We didn't look cool or intimidating at all.

Enceladus roared with laughter. "I've forgotten how funny satyrs are. When we rule the world, I think I'll keep your kind around. You can entertain me while I eat all the other mortals."

"Is that a compliment?" Hedge frowned at Leo. "I don't think that was a compliment."

"Definitely not a compliment." I said twirling my sword.

Enceladus opened his mouth wide, and his teeth began to glow.

"Scatter!" Leo yelled.

Jason, Hedge and I dove to the left as the giant blew fire—a furnace blast so hot even Festus would've been jealous.

Jason rose and charge the giant. Coach Hedge ripped off his canary yellow jacket, which was now on fire, and bleated angrily. "I liked that outfit!" Then he raised his club and charged, too. I huffed and studied my opponent, trying to figure out where he was weakest.

But in the end I just charged like the other idiots. Before we could get very far, Enceladus slammed his spear against the ground. The entire mountain shook.

The shockwave sent me sprawling. I blinked, momentarily stunned. Groaning I looked up to the sound of Jason calling me. Jason was kneeled at my side bombarding me with a million questions. "Why do I feel like this isn't the first time I've almost died cause of you sparkles?" I muttered smiling at Jason.

"One. Don't be dramatic you just got knocked over and two. Why do I feel like this isn't the first time you've called me sparkles?" Jason placed his hand on my back trying to help me up.