Chapter Twenty: A Fresh Start

(Before we get on with the last chapter here is the song mentioned in this chapter and a song that I could picture being part of the end credits if this story were a movie. ;)

Well after winning the Dueling Bands competition Shock Therapy won a recording contract and earned its right for its first world tour. Mom only let me go if I promised that I would keep up on my homework. At first, I didn't want to, because it didn't feel right doing it without DJ. Then I realized that going on is exactly what he would have wanted me to do.

Before I knew it all four of us were on an airplane and headed to New York City. The opening night of our world tour it seems like we were all feeling the pressure, but the person the most stressed about it was Caleb and he refused to come out of his dressing room. Josh and I waited as Logan came out and simply just shook his head while slowly closing the door behind him.

"Well?" I questioned him with uncertainty.

"He's not coming out." He replied while we could hear the crowd chanting our band name in the background and I let out a great big breath of exasperation.

"Let me talk to him!" I cried before I quickly turned the doorknob and headed inside. "Caleb get your ass out here the band needs you." I told him while shutting the door behind me and that's when suddenly he turned his head over and looked at me.

"I don't know man I saw the line-up and the last song we're playing is Free Bird. We've never done that song without DJ." He pointed out.

"Well we're going to have to do it without DJ because DJ isn't here." I told him.

"He's the only one who can slay that guitar solo though. None of us are that good." He told me.

"Let me tell you something Caleb, we might not have the exact same talent that DJ had,.. but we still have him with us in here." I began while placing my hand over my heart. "The only thing that he did for us was show us that we had power in us all along, but the only way we can truly receive that power is if we believe in ourselves like he believed and still believes in us.

The only way he is truly ever gone is if we forget about him and stop believing in him." I told him before there came a few moments pause of silence. And I'm not going to let that happen." I finished when suddenly Josh entered the room.

"Me neither." He replied and a few moments later Logan entered the room behind him.

"Me neither." He responded. "I say we get out there and kick some ass for DJ." He said as we all silently nodded in agreement and I extended my hand.

"For DJ." I said as the other three started putting their hands on top of mine.

"For DJ!!!" We all shouted together and then we all hurried out onto the stage in front of all of our screaming and cheering fans.

"Ladies and gentlemen we are Shock Therapy." I said into the headset and then we started playing some of our new songs like Poison and The Way. We also did some cover songs until we finally made it to our last song.

"I want to thank you guys for coming out tonight and I want to dedicate this song to a really good buddy of mine who couldn't be here with us tonight David James. For this was his favorite song and nobody could ever perform it quite like he could. Love and miss you buddy." I said and then we had started to perform the introduction to Free Bird and things were running a lot smoother than we had expected.

Caleb and I both took a deep breath as it was time for him to start doing DJ's part in the guitar solo, but before he could strum a note that's when we heard it. The noise in the crowd began to grow so loud that all of the angels up in Heaven itself could probably hear it. For it wasn't Caleb that had started the solo. I slowly turned around to see DJ standing there wearing his G bling necklace and Rock God jacket and my eyes along with everybody else's nearly popped out of their sockets while our mouths gaped open.

"You didn't think that you would be able to finish this song without me did ya!?" DJ cried out as a rather wide grin stretched a crossed his face and he started rocking out with Caleb. At the end of the song he skidded a crossed the floor on his knees with his guitar in-between his legs and let out one last powerful strumming note on his guitar and the crowd got onto their feet and erupted into even more cheers and applause.

"Ladies and gentlemen our own David,.. Goliath,.. James!!!!" Josh exclaimed excitedly while clapping for him himself. "AKA,.." he began.

"The rock God!!!!" The whole entire room shouted together and then I quickly ran over to DJ as he stood up and embraced him tightly.

"You came back." I began before breaking the embrace and looking at him through the tears in my eyes and he just simply smiled at me and brushed them away with his thumb.

"Of course I came back. I have a whole new mission to complete and involves being a part of your family. That is,.. if you'll have me." He replied with a grin.

"Darn right." I told him before hugging him again and he let out a chuckle as he hugged me back and patted my shoulders.

"That's my boy." He told me as my mom ran out onto the stage carrying Hannah and that's when we broke the embrace and he turned over to look at her.

"See baby girl? I told you that you would have a new father by the end of the week." He told her with a grin and a wink and she smiled back at him.

"Alright, I say we get a group shot." My mom began while she took out her phone and DJ and I both smiled really big along with everybody else as we huddled together, and she snapped the picture that went right up on the wall next to the picture with me and my dad. It was a fresh start to a new life for all of us.

THE END

...................................................................................................................................................................................

That's when suddenly DJ appeared into view. "Or is it?" He questioned with a grin before pointing at himself and then out into thin air. "That's for me to know and you to find out." He said with a wink as he lifted his sunglasses. "Later dudes!" He exclaimed and within a snap of his fingers he disappeared.