Chapter 9- Discovery

With the added aid from the Mutanimals, Leonardo had a bit more confidence as they continued their long winded search for Donnie and Casey. Some sliver of hope that they would be alright, and Nova hadn't been involved at all. They had split up to cover more ground, and Leo was trailing behind on the very same rooftop. It seemed where all the action appeared to be anyway. And where he could hear her.

"I know you're here," The young ninja whispered, as he heard the rustling of noise from behind him. A familiar noise, but still one that left a shiver up his spine.

"I wasn't exactly hiding." She purred, crawling forward from the shadows. "I missed you."

He didn't bother replying to the last comment. "My brother and friend are missing. Do you know where they are?

Silence.

"You do, don't you?"

"Perhaps."

"Where are they, Nova? Tell me now." He demanded. "I'm done playing games with you."

She slivered past him, her tail brushing against his shoulder. "I've thought long about your offer, and I'm willing to consider it. And I will tell you where your kin are. But first, I need you to listen to me."

Realizing this might be a clue to finding the truth, he nodded.

"I wasn't always this way, you know..." Nova said, voice soft and almost gentle. "I was a human girl once. A girl with a certain talent. One could call it a gift."

Her voice was enchanting, and though she was rejected and tormented by her peers, she remained prideful in her singing. Performing for anyone who would listen. At first, her crowds were small, uneventful. Then as time went on, they grew and grew.

Fame, fortune, success drew her in and before she knew it, the girl was known by the entire world. It didn't matter that she was different in more than just appearance. For once in her life, she was happy. Despite the secret she held inside, she grew to be as beautiful as her voice. Wispy dark brown curls tied in ribbons, sparkling, revealing dresses that made her fans whoop and catcall as she sang her heart out. Her music was aggressive and loud, but that's what they loved most about her. She loved her fans. Her band. Her music.

"Everyone will know your name, dear. You're my shining star. Don't forget that, matahariku."

"I won't, mama."

But that brief moment of joy did not last. All good things must come to an end. The girl was desperate for someone to listen to her. To truly, listen beyond her singing voice and listen to her words.

"I'm tired. I don't want to do this anymore!"

"You have no choice in the matter. This is who you are now. You don't want to go back to being a pathetic nobody, do you?"

"I...no."

No one listened. They only cared for her abilities, not her heart. Except for one.

"You don't have to push yourself so hard, Nova." The soothing voice reminded her.

"If I don't, they'll toss me aside." She said bitterly. "James, what do I do?"

"Keep fighting."

"I can't do this anymore."

So she ran. From her home, her fame and glory. Everything she had ever known. It wasn't worth it. Not even her mother, not even James was worth being exploited.