Chapter 30

Warning – This chapter contains triggering aspects such as homophobia and violence which some readers may consider disturbing.

***

Some secrets are not that harmful or important while others can define your entire lifestyle but all of them have something in common – you can't keep them forever. At some point in your life you'll realize how hard and exhausting it actually is to keep something hidden from everyone you've ever met and soon you'll want to lift that burden off your shoulders.

However, if your little secret gets out it could make quite a splash.

This may sound like it's really not that big of a deal but that wasn't the case for me. Maybe you think that I'm exaggerating but I wouldn't agree on that and once I tell you why you might change your mind.

A Few Hours earlier...

I wonder what Andrew and Violet are talking about. She's so annoying. Every time something good happens, she somehow manages to find a way to ruin it. Whatever, I'm kind of tired of worrying about her all the time. I'd rather enjoy this night as long as I can, instead of letting her ruin my mood.

"So, Jesse, what's up with you and Andrew?" Matt asked me a few seconds after Violet and Andrew left.

I was drinking water from the glass and I almost choked on it when I heard him saying that. At first I thought that it was just because I wasn't used to all the attention from the popular kids, which I originally assumed were all horrible people but they didn't seem that bad now that I actually got to know them. However, soon I realized the reason behind my strange reaction wasn't the fact that Matt was the one talking to me.

It was actually the fact that his question was about Andrew. Someone I had mixed feelings about. On one hand I liked certain things about him, for example how caring and protective he could be. But on the other hand he was also manipulative and overbearing. No matter how many times I tried I just couldn't make up my mind about him. He was just too complicated.

"Oh, um... nothing." I muttered awkwardly. "I'm just helping him out with his homework and stuff."

Matt looked over to Briana and they smiled at each other as if they just read each other's minds or something. He then faced me and spoke up rather friendly. "Well, I was just asking that because ever since you two became friends he practically erased his old pals from his life."

I suppose to some extent that is my fault but I don't think that I am the sole reason why he's been avoiding his friends. I mean, he had to deal with Kristen and his father's scandal and the football practices and all that stuff so it's no surprise he had a difficulty finding free time.

"We hardly spend time with each other," I lied. "Except for the few occasions, like tutoring him and basic human interactions, you know. He's mostly busy with sports and his studies."

"It seems like you know a lot about him." Briana joined our conversation. "I didn't realize you two were this close."

I suddenly felt very uncomfortable because it was almost like I was being under an interrogation so my answers became kind of vague just to avoid any further complications. "As I already said I'm just his tutor. We're not even friends, really."

"Sure," Briana chuckled slightly. "Whatever you say."

"I'm telling the truth!" I stated defensively, however it came out kind of rude but at that moment I was more concerned about not blowing out my cover.

"I never said you were lying now, did I?" Briana tried to calm me down. "Look, we're all friend here, you don't have to be so distressed."

After I heard that I realized how ridiculous I was being and felt ashamed from my actions.