22

Gulf pov

"Umm...Hello?"  I spoke on the phone.

It's my step-mother. It's been 20 days since my dad passed away. It's the third time she called me in this 20 days. But this my first time picking up her call.  It's been few days since I finally stopped locking myself in the house to cry away my sadness.

"Gulf?"  I heard the crooked voice of her from the other side.

"Yeah... " I replied unsure about why she is calling me. Not once.  But trice in last few days.

"How are you?"  She asked making me have a mini attack.

What the heck is happening? Am I dreaming? I pinched myself to test.

"Ouch..." I hissed when I felt the pain.

"Hey. Are you there?" She asked.

"Huh..yeah..yes " I replied awkwardly.

"How are you holding up?"  She asked again.

"Honestly speaking, Not very good " I leaned back into the couch sighing.

"I miss him too. " She replied her voice shaking like she was about to cry.

"You do?" I did not mean to sound mean. But what can I say? We have that unspoken hatred towards each other.

She sighed at my question.

"I do gulf.  That's my husband. I love him " She replied. 

"That's good I guess, stepmother "  I replied. Well, I am not being nice to her just because she lost her husband. She was after me for years. I can't bring myself to be nice to her.

"How is your husband then ?" She asked. I can't tell what she is going for.

"He is fine. " I replied.

"Oh," she said.

We are silent for few seconds.

"What did you call for?"  I asked not at all trying to sound nice. I can not trust this woman.

"You know, I still wish that Jess was the one who married mew," she asked. I rolled my eyes at that.  Like, she can separate us. No way.

"I have been known " I replied unbothered. 

"Yeah...Jess told me about your meeting and all " she replied.

"He told?"  I asked surprised.

"He told me how I can't be a good mother. How I need to stop being a bitch. " she replied calmly.

I could not help but let off a laugh at that. Sorry, not sorry.

"Wow, he called you a bitch. I thought that was my thing. " I said still laughing.

"Oh please, I am trying to be civil. You little shit" she grunted. There we go, the bitchy stepmother.

"Sure " I replied making her curse a few more times.

It took her a minute to calm down not speak again.

"I was going to tell you sorry. But, I  don't want to anymore " she groaned.

"Sorry for what?"  I asked sitting up.

"Umm...Sorry for trying to separate you from your husband when I know you are in love.  "  She replied slowly as she dont wants to tell it but at the same time, she wants to.

"Haha. It's not like you could succeed in separating us. " I laughed.  She really thought she could separate us. Like bitch what!

'Try me, you little shit! You think I cant not!..ahem...I....umm...Sorry..." She stopped herself from her being a bitch again.