Episode One - A New Target

Captain Rogers?" she said. "Never heard of him." Robin chugged her ale and slammed the mug on the table. "But you say he's a treasure chest."

The monk shrugged. "He's a pirate and built a name for himself overnight. Pirate or king. Still a greedy bastard."

Pirates in monster ships started sailing the seas years ago. Just like Rogers. They emerged from the mist and never left.

A pirate? Never had one of those." Excited, she flapped her mugless hand a few times. "Tuck. Tuck, why don't you come back with us? We miss you."

I'm too old, Robin. And I've taken my vows."

She tossed her head back and groaned. "You're no fun."

Where else are you going to get reliable hits? You have a bounty over your head."

"What's it at now?"

Jack cackled, and she turned to him. "You've been quiet. What's your take?"

"Let's take down the treasure chest. The usual. No arguments from me."

"I'd like an argument from you. It gets old having someone who always agrees with me."

He sipped his ale, smirking. "I'll argue about that."

"How exactly do we find a pirate, Tuck? A fucking rowboat?" She had been so excited that she forgot logistics. And maybe the ale was partially to blame. She couldn't tell anymore.

Tuck shook his head. "Patience--"

"You know I don't have that!"

He stifled a smile. Part of being a boring man of God, she guessed. But he ignored her interruption, although he made a point of drawing out his next words to irritate her. "Patience, usually. But I have word that his ship is headed towards the port. Suffered some sort of injury."

"You know I play fair," she said, her playfulness gone in an instant. "I will not steal from a man when he can't even stand up to catch me in the act."

"Oh, there's plenty of risk. Remember. He has a crew. And as for him standing, that won't be a problem. Word is he lost a hand."

She looked past him as he clarified. Robin never looked anyone in the eye. She tried but could never get herself to. A person tells too much through their eyes, and she could never pay attention to their words when their eyes were a mystery.

It made for a great rumor about the legendary "Robin Hood, who looks no one in the eyes." Whatever the hell that means. But she was fine with it, since that seemed to scare the upper tier of society.

"Sword hand?"

"I heard he can use both!" Jack interjected.

"How the hell do you know about Rogers when I don't?"

"I don't always brood in the forest with you."

Rude.

"Are we sure Rogers is a man?" Robin questioned.

Tuck considered her. "All pirates are men, Robin."

"All pirates so far," she corrected. "Men don't pop out of nowhere like Rogers. There's always a trail because they aren't usually considering safety. A woman knows how to hide her tracks."

"Maybe there's a trail we haven't heard of," Jack said.

"I'll task you to finding out and reporting to me."

"Already planned on it."

-----

Jack and Robin left the chapel at the time of night when the only whisper of life was the warm smell of spices and vanilla from the covered market carts. The monastery was in the rich part of Nottingham, safe from the average shit-smelling streets. Jack stretched and yawned. "Any interest in the brothels tonight?"