1 9 | c u d d l e s

Start from the beginning

I followed her to the dining table and sat down. She had made paratha, Omelet and what looked like a really spicy potato curry. The paratha looked exactly how Mom makes it and the rest of the food looked just as appetising.

"It looks great but I don't think my stomach can handle so much spice and greese so early." I said to Noor, who was serving some curry in her plate.

Her smile turned into a disappointed pout at this. "I'll make some toast for you." She said and stood up but before she could walk away, I gripped her wrist gently.

"Sit down, Noor." I said. She frowned at first but did as I say. "First of all, I can do my work myself, you are not my maid. Secondly, I'll eat it. Don't pout."

"I am not pouting." She said.

"If you say so." I smirked at her, which she reciprocated with a hard glare. That's what I like the most about Noor; one minute, she acts like an innocent child and the next minute, she is a fiery woman.

Shaking my head at her, I served some curry and omelet in my plate and tore off half a paratha. She was staring at me with nervous eyes to check my reaction so I decided to take full advantage of this occasion.

°°°°°°°°°°

• n o o r •

As soon as he took the first bite, his face contorted in a weird manner. I played with the hem of my shirt impatiently as I watched him chew his food. He took his time making all sort of weird expressions for a really long moment, after which he finally swallowed it and then focused his eyes on me.

"It's delicious." He said after a pause.

I didn't believe my ears until he passed me an assuring smile. "Are you speaking truth?" I asked.

"Yes. It's hundred percent truth. Your food tastes like Mom's and that's the highest compliment I can give you." He said. I don't know why but my cheeks felt a lot warmer now.

"Thanks." I said. I was glad the food turned out good because I couldn't embarrass myself in front of him two time in one day. Just an hour ago, I had been caught red-handed trying to cuddle with him inappropriately.

After finishing his plate, Faaris stood up to make tea for both of us. "Sugar?" He asked.

"1 cube." I said as I watched him move efficiently in the kitchen. Maheen was right, Faaris was really handsome. He was tall, with adequate amount of lean muscles and his features were pretty decent as well. I wonder how he was still single.

He was halfway into making the tea when the bell rang. He turned the stove off and then walked over to the door to open it. While he did that, I stood up to gather the empty plates and then dumped them into the basin.

Pouring the tea in teacups, I put them in the middle of the table and then followed Faaris to see who was at the door. But my feet stopped on their own when I found a girl at the door. She was hugging Faaris with her head buried in the crook of his neck; he on the other hand, looked too stunned to move.

Who is she and why is she hugging him?

"I missed you so much." The girl said to him.

When Faaris realized my presence, he pushed the girl away from him and created reasonable distance between them. The girl was gorgeous, to say the least. She had big brown eyes and long brown hair that were curled in the ends. Her face was covered with some light makeup, enhancing her natural beauty.

"Hayat, how did you---" Faaris began to speak.

"I asked your secretary. But the question is, why didn't you tell me?" She asked and before Faaris could speak, she noticed me standing behind Faaris. The girl eyed me from head to toe and then recognition flashed in her eyes. "Noor? Usama's Noor?" She exclaimed loudly.

"Ah---" I exchange a glance with Faaris, whose pale face looked a lot more pale.

"Shit. I am sorry, I shouldn't have said that. It's just that Usama used to talk so much about you all the time. But you are much prettier than he described, if that's even possible." She said to me. "I didn't know you would be visiting Seattle."

"Actually, I am---"

"She is staying here with me, until Mom and Dad arrives." Faaris said. I whipped my head towards my dear husband in astonishment, who seemed to be doing everything in his power to avoid looking at me.

"Oh, I am Hayat by the way, the love of Faaris' life." She winked at him and a weird feeling settled in my stomach. "Just kidding. But a girl can hope, right?"

"Hayat---" Faaris trailed off.

"Laters, I'm late for work. And Noor, you have never been to Seattle before, right?" She asked and I nodded. "Call me once you settle in. I'll show you around. Don't expect this boring man to give you a tour of our city."

"Um... Sure." I gulped nervously.

"Here, take my card." She handed over her card to me. "Okay, bye guys. I'll see you later." She then waved at us and walked out of the apartment.

Once she closed the door behind her, I turned my face to Faaris, who was staring at the floor awkwardly. "Thanks for letting me stay with you until your parents arrive." I said and walked away from him.

"Listen, Noor." He followed me inside to the kitchen.

"You could've warned me that you have a girlfriend." I said.

"She is not my--- God. This is all just a misunderstanding." He said in a panicked voice.

"A misunderstanding that you could have cleared." I glared at him.

"I know and I am sorry. Just give me some time. Okay? I'll tell her. I just need right time and place." He said.

"Do whatever you like, Mr. Faaris Shah. It's not like you owe me something." I said and stomped out of the kitchen without taking the tea with me.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Their first misunderstanding, the first of many. :P

 :P