Brooding

"I don't know what it was, it was like I had all the time in the world to catch the ball," Scott explained with excitement, the sound of water under their feet as the two boys walked over a creek in the woods.

Maeve and Stiles were listening to Scott as he talked about his new found talent that he demonstrated during lacrosse tryouts earlier. Now, the three were walking through the woods in effort to find the inhaler the shaggy haired boy had lost in the woods last night. Maeve being carried on Stiles' back as she didn't want to get her white sneakers wet.

"I can hear stuff I shouldn't be able to hear, smell things," the boy went on to say.

"Smell things? Like what?" asked the pale boy who was carrying Maeve.

"Like the mint mojito gum in your pocket," as Scott said this Maeve moved one of her arms from around her brother's shoulders and reached into his pocket.

She found the half piece of gum and put it out into Stiles' line of sight just as he was denying having any gum.

After a quick pause the two boys continued on with walking and their conversation, Maeve just listening to them while she rested her chin on her twin's left shoulder.

"What if it's like an infection, like my body's flooding with adrenaline before I go into shock or something?" enquired the tanner boy.

Stiles was quick to answer, "You know what, I actually think I've heard of this, yeah its a specific kind of infection," Scott stopped almost looking as if a doctor just told him he had a week left to live, "I think it's called lycanthropy."

Maeve rolled her eyes, and to his grief Scott failed to notice.

"Whats that? Is that bad?"

This boy has no common sense, Maeve thought as she looked at him, his dark brown eyes leaking small emotions of fear and confusion.

"Oh yeah it's the worse, but only once a month," Stiles went on casually, as if lying was second nature to him.

Try being a women once a month.

"....on the night of the full moon..." Stiles then proceeded to howl, causing Scott to finally pick up on what he was going on about. Scott rolling his chocolate brown eyes and Maeve slapping Stiles upside his head.

He looked at her appalled, "Just for that you can walk yourself," suddenly removing his arms that were supporting her on his back and the hazel eyed girl slid down, copying Scott in rolling her eyes.

They continued walking, Maeve not contributing much to the conversation. She couldn't tell if it was because she was tired from getting home so late the night before or if was from the feeling that hasn't left since last night, but she didn't have much to offer in conversation - at least nothing that could ease the nerves on that her childhood friend had coursing through him.

They were in a small clearing, Scott looking around the ground for his inhaler, neither twin being helpful. Stiles was still talking with his hands in his pocket, taking turns at looking between his best friend and his sister. Maeve just stood like a tree, swaying as she scanned the woods surround them, a look of lost in her eyes.

"Hey, you okay?"

The brunette snapped out of her trance, her body stopped moving once her hazel eyes met with the light brown ones that belong to her brother, concern peaking through.

She pulled a small smile to her face, though it didn't reach her eyes, "yeah I'm fine, just thinking."

Stiles knew that she was thinking, given her lack of verbalization for most of the walk, but he didn't believe that she was fine. As he was about to push her into sharing her thoughts, her eyes flickered behind him, fear flooding in as they grew wider.