Chapter 4

Things had been quiet lately in District 12. Everyone was scared about the games this year. Since it's the 75th games, this year is the 3rd Quarter Quell.

Talk about what happened in the last games has simmered down, almost like Snow has forgotten about the whole thing.

I wish.

Tonight is when they'll be announcing the Quell. There's this feeling in the pit of my stomach that this will be the way Snow gets me back.

The thought of what he might do scares me. What if he aims this towards Prim? Or my mom? Or even Gale and his family?

Know matter what he does, this year I'll have to be a mentor and probably the year after that, and after that. Every year I'll have to send kids in and watch them die.

The thought sends chills down my spine.

I curl up on the couch with the TV on preparing for the announcement. Cato walks into the room and sits down next to me.

He pulls me into his side and kisses my temple, "Don't worry Katniss."

President Snow appearing on the screen catching our attention.

He starts out with the same small speech he does every year but then he gets into what the actual games will be.

"This year, in order to show that even the strongest can't overcome the power of the Capital, the tributes will be chosen from the existing pool of victors."

I sat there for a second, processing what has been said.

I'm going back into the games.

I did the only thing I could think of doing.

I ran.

A/N: I just wanted to point out that since this will be based off the 3rd book there will be some time laps.