1.5

The 15th of November 2020

Emma's POV

I must've fallen asleep because when I wake up, I'm blinded by the brightness of the morning sun. I squint my eyes and gently rub the sleep out of them. I look around to see an all too familiar hospital room and I sigh while falling back into the position I was in before. That's when I pause realizing I didn't hear any of the noise I just caused. I start to panic. I thought it was just a dream. I thought that this was all a silly mind game my subconsciousness was playing on me. I strain to hear the sound of my heart monitor, but I can't even begin to hear a faint beep.

I see the door open from the corner of my eye and I prepare myself to ask as many questions as I can to the best of my ability. When I see the familiar red locks I feel myself calm down slightly. He notices that I'm awake and hurriedly places the food in his hands on the bedside table. He looks hesitant before he opens his mouth to speak. I can see his lips moving, forming words, I just don't know what those words are. He sighs and looks at me sadly.

"I can't hear you, everything last night really happened?" I ask as best I can. For all I know it sounds like a mouse speaking. He nods his head and I groan hitting my head back onto my pillow. "So, what's wrong?" I ask. He holds up a finger signaling to give him a second and he grabs a piece of paper and a pen. I don't blame him, I mean he can barely fingerspell, I don't expect him to continue to do that.

The doctor wanted to wait until you were awake so they could get the best results.

I read the messy scribbles he calls his writing. I nod and close my eyes trying to clear my head and calm myself down. After a few moments, I feel someone else sit on the bed and I'm immediately engulfed in the familiar scent of Harry's cologne. I open my eyes and he waves before I climb into his arms. I just want to be held right now, no words, no conversation. Just comfort. He kisses the top of my head and rubs my back while rocking me back and forth, soothingly. I feel Kyle get off the bed and I barely see him leave the room in my peripheral vision.

I don't know how long we sit there for, but before I know it I'm being settled into the middle of my bed as a doctor writes something on the whiteboard across from the bed. On the board he writes I'm Dr. Peltz, I'm your ENT for your stay. I'm just going to take a quick look at your ears. Are there any previous problems you've had that I should know of?

I nod and grab the paper Kyle was using and write my past problems from when I was little. He reads over my words carefully and glances up at me from the paper before saying something to Harry.

Harry's POV

She hands him a piece of paper and he reads over it carefully. He looks up from the paper at her and then looks at me.

"She's had hearing problems before. She almost went deaf as a kid, but she never got her full treatment. I'm gonna be honest, I don't know if finishing her treatment will work. I'll have to perform much more complicated tests to see what our best way to go about this will be. I'm going to ask her a few questions and then move on to testing," he informs me. I let the information sink in and nod along as he speaks.

"What caused her hearing problems?" I ask, seeing as that always is a factor in how bad things are.

"Constant ear infections. According to her medical record, she had tubes put into her ears when she was very little, most likely three years old. The tubes are supposed to be replaced every six months for the rest of her life, however, that wasn't the case. Her tubes fell out and her parents at the time never took her back to get new ones or continue her treatment. Seeing as it's been around thirteen years since her ear problems were worked on, this is going to be a messy process," he further explains. I take a deep breath and nod in understanding. I look at her, oblivious to the realness of the situation, she smiles at me. I gulp down my nervousness and excuse myself for a second. I advise him to wait to take tests or ask questions until I come back.