1.4

The 2nd of November 2020

Emma's POV

Mollie moved two weeks ago as of yesterday. We talk all the time, that's the only thing getting me through this. School isn't fun anymore now that I have no one to act like a fool in the hall with. Everyone looks at me with pity and sympathy. I don't want their sympathy, I don't want their pity, it just makes everything worse.

Today is the announcement for the first round of voting for Homecoming court results. I'm not looking forward to it. Mollie and I normally go together and make fun of how competitive people get for the titles. This year I was shocked when the results were released. I was nominated for my year. I don't want the title and it's probably just because they all know I'm Harry's sister. I walk into Ms. Duke's room. She's the advisor of the student council.

"I would like to remove my name from the ballot," I announce as I walk in. There are a few students, but they don't pay much attention.

"I'm sorry?" she asks confused.

"I'm Emma, and I want to take my name off of the homecoming court ballot," I clarify.

"Why?" she asks.

"I'm not going to get the title just because of my brother. The other people want it more than I do," I explain.

"If you're sure I can take it off," she agrees.

"Wait," a voice speaks up. The voice was a soft, high - but not too high - voice with an English accent. I turn and recognize them from my English class a few years ago, and a few of my classes this year. "Do you want to hear the real reason why you're nominated before you go through with this?" they ask. I take in their short brown hair, big blue eyes, and freckled sun-kissed skin. They wouldn't lie, right?

"Sure I guess," I hesitate. I don't know if I really want to know.

"Because you are the life of the school. You bring light into the halls even when it's the crack of dawn. People act like they're annoyed, but we secretly look forward to your lively energy every day. You have been through so much shit in the span of a few months and you still keep up that persona. I don't know if it's because you're faking a smile, or you're doing it because you're just that strong. But, we all appreciate it and we're lucky that we get to vote for you. Next year though, I can guarantee that you'll be in the running for the queen. You do so much for this school. You support all of the sports, the drama department, the music department, and the art department. Even when you were forced to stop doing the things you loved, you never gave those who were still able to do them shit. You continued to support everyone. Plus you're probably the most accepting and grounded person in our grade. You don't assume anyone's gender, sexuality, or pronouns. You don't care if someone is black, white, or any other race, you just see them as a person. Your whole life has been flipped upside down and yet you're still the same person you were when we went on summer vacation. You're the one person that everyone knows about and knows they can talk to and you won't say anything to anyone else about it. Everyone trusts you. You're just that good of a person. You deserve the title, whether you want it or not," they lecture in-depth. I stand there speechless.

"Really? That's what people think of me?" I insecurely ask. They nod. "I'm not the same since Mollie moved though. The happy persona in the hallways was fueled by her," I argue.

"You are still Emma Styles, with or without Mollie," they correct me.

"So are you taking off your name or not?" the teacher asks impatiently. I shake my head and walk closer to the student.