The Tenth Year

Comincia dall'inizio

"Easy, I was just asking youse a question, no need to get your panties in an uproar."

"I have a boyfriend," I replied uninterestedly. Even though I didn't, but he didn't need to know that. I held the newspaper up higher so he could get the clue that I was busy, but sometimes my expectations for men are a little too high. Tom made them too high.

"I don't see him here," he said as he glanced around for emphasis.

"Just leave me alone."

"You oughta forget about that boyfriend of yours. He's not here so he obviously don't care enough to not let his lady eat alone. He can't give you love that ain't there."

"We are fine, thank you for your concern." I could not believe I was standing up for my hypothetical boyfriend. Was this a new low for me?

"Just forget him and come home with me."

"No," I said firmly.

"Then where is your boyfriend, huh?"

The newspaper scrunched under my gripping fingers. Even if I did have a boyfriend, I have the right to do things without him. I can do activities alone, and I don't need a man to accompany me for anything.

I opened my mouth to speak, but soon another man joined in on the conversation. My newspaper was blocking him, but I didn't care who he was until I heard his voice. "You heard her. Leave her alone."

"And who might you be?" The New Yorker asked.

I put my newspaper down just in time for the second guy to answer, "the boyfriend."

The paper slipped out of my hands and slid under the table at my feet. My jaw was hanging low while he smiled at me, just like he always used to. I brought my hands up to my gaping mouth and muffled, "oh my god!"

Tom smiled at me and said, "I told you I'd be here."

I was so elated, I could barely contain myself. The New Yorker had moved on already, so I jumped out of my booth and ran straight into his open arms. I hugged his neck and held him close. "I can't believe you came!"

"That's what she said."

"Let me look at you." I pulled him away. He was just as handsome as ever, maybe more so if that was possible. His hair was starting to get long on top which he had combed back. He had a very neatly trimmed mustache and a patch of hair on his chin. I had never imagined him with facial hair before, but it suited him very well. My heart still beat fast for Tom. I said, "you're here! I can't believe you're actually here."

"You don't know how many times I dreamed of this moment," Tom said, "except we were at home and I saw Swayze too. I noticed you haven't changed the locks."

"Did you go home?" I asked.

He nodded, "I flew in a few hours ago and took a taxi. I was going to surprise you, but the apartment was dark and I figured that you weren't there. Swayze took a second to recognize me... he's gotten so big. Anyway, I booked it over here after I saw on your calendar that you were planning on being here."

"You must had just missed me," I said.

"We probably passed each other on the road," he laughed. I beamed at his happiness. Being without him was devastatingly difficult, and the pain of it was nearly unbearable. But now that he is here, I don't feel the pain anymore.

"Come, sit," I said and we sat across from each other in the booth. "You must be starving from traveling all day."

"I could eat the entire cow," Tom said as I pushed the menu his way.