Who You Are

After soaking for half an hour, I decided it was time to get out. The water had turned cold and I was well on my way to becoming a giant ice cube..

I slowly stepped out of the tub and wrapped a towel around myself as I heard a light knock on the door. I tip toed to the door and cracked it open to see Jasper standing there holding my large black duffle bag.

"Thank you" I said as I removed it from his hand.

"Your welcome. I'll be right outside the door if you need anything." he replied.

I silently shut the door and rummaged through my bag before pulling out my baby pink night gown. I didn't know what Jasper would think of it as it looked as if it came straight from a vintage magazine. I just hoped that Jasper could put up with it. That he could put up with me.

I scrambled to get dressed and entered his bedroom shyly.

"Not the most attractive choice of night clothes is it?" I asked.

"Quiet the contrary." he replied.

I looked at him confused, waiting for him to clarify or say he was joking. He, however, was not joking.

"Your night gown looks like it came from a vintage magazine." he smiled.

"That's why I like it." I replied.

"It's why I like it too. I was born and raised in the 1800's. I've seen quite a few decades, but none of them ever looked as good as they do on you." he said, answering my question as to why he told me that I was wrong.

I walked over to the bed and climbed in beside him. I cocked my head to the side curiously as I asked my next question.

"Did you, by any chance, grow up during the civil war? I always wanted to meet someone from that time period, but you know, all the humans from that time are gone and the books are not always accurate."

He nodded and began to tell me about his time in the war and his rank. He hesitated when he came to the part about stopping to help three women.

"It's okay. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." I reassured him when I seen the look on his face.

"No, you need to know." he replied and continued. "Her name was Maria. She was the one who changed me. She was a cruel, cold-hearted bitch. Unfortunately, back then I didn't see that. I thought what we had was love, but I was just her puppet." he paused to take an unneeded breath.

"She ran the newborn army and I trained the newborns as well as disposing of them after their year was up. Doing that sent me into a depression. I could feel everything they felt. It all changed when Peter came along." he laughed.

"The all-knowing dumbass was very persistent. He wouldn't stop pestering and annoying me. I eventually cracked. We became close friends. One night we had to get rid of some of the newborns. I noticed he acted odd, but I didn't pay any attention to it until we came to the last one. He jumped in front of her and told her to run. It was then that I made the connection that they were mates."

"I told them to run. I knew I would be severely punished, but I could not let Maria know she had a pair mates in her army. She would kill one of them. Most likely Char, Peters mate.

"After they ran, the next few years were hell. I got more depressed and Maria watched me like a hawk. But they came back for me, Peter and Char. Peter became my captain and Char my lieutenant."

"Point is, I did things I'm not proud of. It was either a part of my punishment or someone else's. I understand if the things I have done make you want to rethink accepting me as a mate. I know you must think me a monster." he said sadly.

I shook my head and then remembered, he was looking the other way. A thought popped up in my mind. I knew my next action would take him by surprise and I was going to enjoy it.

In a flash, I moved so I was straddling him and I received just the reaction I wanted. He looked straight at me with what could only be classified as shock and confusion.

"You are no monster. I have seen monsters and you are not one of them." I said as I gently picked up his hand. His plain black shirt didn't cover all of his scars so I gently ran my finger over the most prominent one beside his wrist.

"Your not disgusted. Why?" He asked

"They are a part of you, they made you who you are...and your scars are kind of a turn on actually." I say and blush.

I glanced up from under my eyelashes to see his eyes darkened. I felt his hands gently grab my sides and with in seconds, the position we were in before was flipped. I brought my hand up to touch a scar that was on his left eyebrow and heard him groan as he closed his eyes.

A moment later he opened his eyes and watched me with fascination. I nervously bit my lip and he groaned again. He brought his fingers up to trace my lips and then down jaw and to my neck. My eyes fluttered closed when our lips locked.

It surprised me at first but I quickly responded by winding my fingers through his hair. It was gentle and loving but turned more rough and passionate when the kiss was deepened.

I moaned when one of his hands gripped my thigh tightly. Eventually, he pulled away and rested his head in the crook of my neck, careful not to crush me with his weight.