Chapter 29

"Please, just hear me out," I beg. "My sister is in trouble and I think you know how I can save her. You understand helping your sister, don't you? You're trying to help her after all," I point at Ariel, hoping this tactic can strike a chord with them.

There are six mermaids. They've all managed to get into the water by now but luckily they're listening to me. They stare at me warily, distrustful since I'm a human stranger. "I swear to you, I don't have anything against mermaids and I don't want to hurt you or anything. I just really need your help." I glance at Ariel hoping she can inspire her sisters to help me out. I regret not getting her on my side earlier but she still gives her sisters a nod of approval, not putting full trust in me but asking them to hear me out.

I wait as the mermaids form a huddle, whispering incoherently. I look at Ariel who sits, watching her sisters with a pained face. Even though they come visit her, they probably still judge her decision a lot, especially because of the tension between humans and mermaids. Finally, the huddle breaks up and the eldest looking mermaid speaks with a slight, unrecognizable accent. "We will hear you out, but do anything to hurt our sister, our family, or our people, and we will have no problem starting a war. Do you understand?" I swallow hard and nod.

She proceeds to introduce me to each of her sisters, but the only names I can keep track of are her name, Ione, and Ariel's name, which is actually Adella. The names are uncommon and full of vowels so I barely try remembering any of them.

The confidence and strength with which Ione speaks makes me feel self-conscious and small. She, and her sisters, spread out upon the rocks, their tails glittering in the moonlight. Ione gracefully pulls herself onto one of the highest rocks so that she can look down on me and make me feel even weaker. "What do you want from us?" she finally asks once everyone has settled.

I take a deep breath and say, "My sister was put under a sleeping spell and I believe the cure is in the mermaid kingdom. I think you can help me find it."

"I would not be surprised if it is in the possession of the sea witch. However, her prices are high. I cannot purchase your cure for you, since her fares depend on the buyer." She has a low, sultry voice that can draw the attention of everyone who can hear her.

"Like with Adella's voice," I say, without really thinking.

"How did you know that?" another mermaid, with a high pixie-like voice, asks.

"I... I can't tell you that, but I know a lot more than you think," I say as mysteriously as I can, trying to appear tougher than I feel.

Ione studies my face with distrust but I see her glance at Adella, who shakes her head as if to say it isn't worth inquiring about.

"I am willing to pay but how can I get to the witch?" I ask, once Ione has turned her attention back to me.

"I believe I could turn you into a mermaid, temporarily. However, it's a complicated spell and very dangerous."

"I don't care," I say, the desperation in my voice clear as day.

"Good, meet me here tomorrow night and I'll help you get your potion," she tells me.

"How can I repay you?" I ask.

"Don't worry about that yet, when the time comes you'll know. Now please leave me and my sisters alone."

"Of course," I say, feeling somewhat guilty for intruding on their family time. "Thank you so much," I call to them as I hurry away across the beach.

The next morning, a maid wakes me up early to tell me I have to get ready for breakfast. I shuffle through my morning routine, exhausted from staying up so late last night. Even after I got back to my room, I was too excited to fall asleep.

Breakfast is in the dining hall again and the meal goes similarly to last night, though Ariel, or I suppose I should call her Adella, gives me a shy smile when I enter the room.

I'm not sure about how much I should tell Chase and Nicholas. I don't want to worry them by disappearing, since I'm not sure how long I'll be gone. Ione said we'd find the cure tonight so I decide to bring Chase and Nicholas to the beach but not tell them about the mermaids without asking Ione first. During breakfast I find a break in the conversation so I can ask them to meet me in Miola's garden.

I'm the last person to arrive, since I talked to Miola for a bit. I find them in the gazebo, engaged in a quiet conversation that stops suddenly when they see me. "I have to tell you something," I say. Chase and Nicholas look at me expectantly. "Last night I couldn't sleep so I did some exploring. I found a way to get to the ocean kingdom and find the cure."

"That's great!" Nicholas says excitedly. "How do we get there?"

"That's the thing, I'm not sure how much I can share with you. I'm going down to the beach tonight and if you follow my instructions you can come too."

"Can't you tell us any more information?" Chase asks.

I shake my head. "What if I share something I shouldn't and I lose this opportunity?"

"Okay," Chase says after a while. "I'll do whatever you need us too. There's no way that you're going to the ocean kingdom alone."

"I'm coming too," Nicholas declares. "Whatever you need to do save your sister, I want to help."

I sigh with relief. "Thanks guys, but I don't want to put you in danger." I say this mostly out of politeness since I know they're coming no matter what.

That night, after another boring dinner, instead of dressing in my nightgown, I dress in my trousers and blouse that I wore for comfort while traveling. I know I won't be able to get any sleep before it's time to go down to the beach but we can't leave until even the maids have gone to bed. A mixture of excitement and nerves is making my mind and body jittery. I try to focus on my book but it's helpless. A flood of relief washes over me when I hear a knock at the door.

"Hi Chase," I whisper, ushering him inside. In his arms he has a bundle of fabric. "What's that?"

He shakes the fabric and it unravels and I see it's a red, and rather ratty, cloak. "This is yours," Chase says. I give him a puzzled look. "Do you remember the day we met?" he asks, instead of explaining.

I think back to that day, months and months ago. "We met in the marketplace, on the magic side," I recall. "I was looking for a notebook." I remember it now. That was my first day as Violet.

"Yeah, I said something about you not belonging there and... you bought this. You bargained for it and got an amazing deal. And then we had lunch." He gives me a strange look, not mean or sad or even cold. He looks like he's lost in thought and he wants to bring me with him.

"I remember," I say softly, unsure of what to do in such an unprecedented situation.

"It's a Revalare cloak," he tells me. "It helps you find things that are lost."

"Oh, I haven't thought about this thing in ages. Where did you get it?"

"When your mom went crazy and you had to move in with Nicholas you brought this. You were probably packing so quickly you didn't realize. You must have packed it in your travel suitcase too, but you never mentioned it so I assumed you had forgotten what it was. I found it while I was looking through your chest, I thought it was mine. Anyway, I was worried you might give it away so I put it in my own trunk," Chase says.

I take it from him slowly, examining the thick fabric. "I had no idea you were so sentimental," I murmur.

"I thought it would come in handy, that's all," he says, clearing his throat.

"Well, thank you," I say, looking up at him. He gives me a slight smile that gives me butterflies. Before I know what's happening he reaches up to my face and tucks a lock of hair behind my ear. I'm frozen in place, trying to register the warmth of his hand by my cheek. I can't seem to think about what to do next so I stand there, staring into his eyes and waiting for something to happen.

Finally, he coughs and says, "I'll see you in a bit."

"Okay," I say breathlessly, slowly regaining control of my body again. By the time I've turned around, all I can see is the door closing behind him.