Chapter 18

"Why don't we um..." I hesitate. This world doesn't have submarines or scuba diving suits. There's no way to swim to the bottom of the ocean without running out of oxygen.

Nicholas looks conflicted. "There's no way we can get a mermaid to get us down there either. They hate humans as much as humans fear them. It would be impossible to get in contact with one."

"Wait, if I can get in contact with a mermaid we can get the cure?" I question realizing that not all hope is lost.

"Well, we would have to find a mermaid to get us to the bottom of the sea without dying but bargaining for the cure is a whole different story. There is no way the mermaids would simply hand the cure over." Nicholas explained.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there. I might have a way to contact a mermaid. It's not guaranteed and you can't ask me how I know what I know but it is conveniently located in the Lotus kingdom."

"It's Litus."

"Right, if I can get to Litus there's a chance I could cure her. Can you please take me with you?" I plead.

"Of course, if there's a chance we can save your sister." Nicholas agrees.

"I'll pack right away, I don't know how long she'll be there." I mutter while searching the room for my belongings. "Please make sure Cinderella is safe while we're away."

Nicholas nods to what I assume to be his attendant who responds with a nod as well. I bite my nails as two maids enter the room and are ordered to keep watch for Cinderella. I don't want to leave her alone here but there's no other way.

"We leave tomorrow, will you be packed by then?" Nicholas asks and I nod in response.

The next morning feels colder than usual. It's earlier and lonelier than normal with the hallways empty. Most people are sleeping at this time but if we want to arrive at Litus on schedule then we have to leave early.

"You look tired." Nicholas hands me a cloak and I gratefully take it.

"I couldn't sleep." I look down to avoid letting anyone see the dark circles under my eyes.

"You can sleep in the carriage. It should take about two days to arrive at the next kingdom over and another two to get to Litus." Nicholas informs me as he helps tuck our bags into a hidden storage compartment on top of the carriage.

He helps me into the carriage and closes the door behind me. It's more spacious than I expected. I was expecting a cramped fancy carriage similar to the one Cinderella and I rode in for the ball but this carriage is much larger. It feels similar to a wagon and is discreetly less fancy than most royal carriages to avoid bandits.

"We should be safe with the amount of guards tailing us but remember that if anything happens, run and don't look back."

I curl up in the corner of the carriage as I wait for us to leave. Nicholas is talking in a hushed voice to someone outside. The world has a fitting greyness about it, as if a filter was placed over the sun. I watch the forest that sits outside my window. It's the same forest Cinderella and I ran away through on the day of the ball.

I am shaken out of my thoughts by the loud boom of hooves. Someone rides up to the carriage and dismounts. Moments later, the door opens and a hooded figure steps in. Nicholas gives the stranger a polite but somber nod and the hood nods back, then turns to me. I stare back, realizing too late that I'm probably giving him a very strange look, eyes wide with fear and confusion.

He reaches up and pulls the hood off, his face finally visible in the grey light.

"Chase?" I whisper before throwing my arms around him.

"Vi, I'm so sorry I offended you. I feel awful and I didn't mean what I said." He returns the hug.

"I overreacted, I was just feeling a little insecure." I let go and return to my seat. As I do, I notice the awkward expression on Nicholas's face.

"So, you too know each other?" he asks.

"Yeah, we were friends back when I lived near town. We got into a little fight and I haven't seen him for a while." I smile bashfully at Chase and he smiles back. "Why are you here?" I ask him.

Nicholas answers instead. "Chase and I were friends when we were young. He has an extensive knowledge of many different realms and I thought he'd be a useful companion. I'm glad you know each other so it won't be awkward."

I'm glad that Nicholas and Chase are here with me. I feel fragile and exhausted yet sleep avoids me, just as it had all night. I close my eyes and lean against the side of the carriage, pulling my cloak tight around me. Finally the sound of Nicholas and Chase quietly conversing lull me into a deep slumber.

When I open my eyes I'm back in my bed. Not my bed in the castle, not even my bed next to Poppy's. I'm in my bed from my first life. My room is exactly the same, books in color order on my shelf that hangs over my desk, which is neatly organized without a pencil out of place. Was it all a dream? Or am I dreaming now? I get out of bed slowly, every movement feels like moving through syrup. I cross the room and open my bedroom door but instead of seeing my kitchen there's absolutely nothing. Just empty space, stretching on forever. I catch myself from falling and go to a window, opening the shades. All I see is Ms. Gretchen's garden, just like it used to be with the sunflowers stretching to the sky. Yet the same emptiness hangs outside my door. Then, like the sun coming up over the horizon is Cinderella's face, huge, pale, and scared. A path appears and I run towards her as fast as I can. It still feels like moving through syrup and I'm being pulled back to my house. I run harder, trying to yell out her name. "Save me Violet, I'm in danger," she calls to me. I want to tell her I'm trying, I'll save her but my words are lost in the milky haze that clouds this dreamworld. Finally, with exhaustion I give in and am sucked back into my house like a piece of lint being sucked into a vacuum.