Chapter 20

I climb into the carriage, being extra careful not to trip.

"We may have gone a little over our time constraint..." Nicholas notes. "We won't be able to spend as much time in the next kingdom over."

"What is the next kingdom over?" I wonder aloud. Which fairytale is it?

"It's a small kingdom called Forlore. King Rupert and Queen Sylvia rule it with their young prince Lucas." He notes. "Their kingdom is mostly known for agriculture, notably their potato exports."

"Wow, how do you manage to remember all that?" I ask.

"It's simply part of my duties. I don't have much of a choice, these are things I need to know to run a kingdom." Nicholas shrugs. "Good relations and trading with other kingdoms is important."

Chase nods in agreement.

"How do you guys know each other anyways? I didn't really picture a prince playing with just anyone as a child."

Chase sends a look to Nicholas. "We... my mother knew his grandmother well I suppose... Nicholas explains. "His grandmother did a lot for my family, it was only natural for us to help him when-"

Chase cuts him off. "Do you think the next kingdom has good food?"

"What? Wait what about-" I start but I am immediately interrupted.

"Obviously, did you not just hear what I said about agriculture?" Nicholas cuts in and hints to me not to press any further, which I don't.

"Will we stay in the town?" I ponder.

"Just one night, sleeping in the carriage is hard so we'll stay at an inn for a night then ride for another two days before arriving in Litus.

I nod and look out the window. The sun is low, the sky a soft ombre, and the clouds glowing a bright pink. The passing of trees reminds me of long car rides with my family. The mood turns sullen as everyone seems to be reminiscing about something.

I study Chase's face, which is cold and closed off. He gazes out the window, lost in thought.

Nicholas is holding a large map, a crease in his eyebrows as he studies it intensely. He shakes his head, gives a large sigh, and opens the door to the carriage.

"Oh my gosh!" I yell, reaching for him before I realize that we aren't moving very quickly and he isn't in danger. I pull my outstretched arms in as I begin to blush.

Nicholas gives his signature chuckle before saying, "Don't worry, I'm fine. I just need to talk with Dylan about something."

After a few minutes I turn to Chase. "Listen, I'm sorry if I pressed you and Nicholas too much about your childhood. I know you don't like to talk about it and I was just curious." I scoot over to sit across from him and pat his hand awkwardly but hopefully comfortingly.

"It's fine. I just don't like to think about my family too much. Someday, I'll tell you." He can't meet my eyes so I give his hands a soft squeeze.

"You can tell me as much as you'd like whenever you feel ready."

When we arrive at Forlore it's dark and cold. I hug my cloak around me as I step out of the carriage and take in the hotel. It's small and not very fancy but that doesn't surprise me. A scrawny man with a hunched back greets us and takes us to our rooms. Nicholas has reserved six rooms, one for him, Chase, me, and three to house our guards and maids. The rooms are nicer than I thought they would be but I suppose they have to be fit for a prince.

I glance around the room prepared for me. It is slightly smaller than the room I had stayed in at Nicholas's palace but it is still considerably extravagant. Of course this was likely the most expensive hotel they could find. I chuckle at the ornate framed mirror hung upon the wall opposite of me. This life was so different. In all the time that I lived back on earth I never once danced at a ball, witnessed an assassination attempt, lived with a prince, or had to rescue my sister from a curse... The one thought I had been trying to block out had once again entered my mind. I change into my nightgown and turn off the lights. The covers feel comforting as I pull them over my head, burying my face in the pillow.