Chapter 17

The kitchen is nearly empty as most of the kitchen staff has retired for the night. Luckily we're still able to get a hold of some pudding and cake.

"So what exactly are you going to do?" I ask. "Are you really going to marry this girl from Lilith?"

"It's Litus and I don't really have a choice." Nicholas mumbles as he aggressively stabs the pudding with a spoon. "The only thing that could possibly stop this marriage is if both sides agree that neither of them want the marriage or if a war breaks out between the two kingdoms." Nicholas throws his hands in the air exasperatedly. "I'm not exactly planning on starting a war just to end a marriage."

"Right, but why not go to Litus and talk to Princess Miola," I suggest. "She probably doesn't want to marry someone she doesn't even know."

"That's the thing," Nicholas snaps. "It's not up to her. It's not up to either of us. The decision is our parents not our own, after all, a marriage uniting kingdoms is always a joyous occasion."

"I don't get it, whose kingdom are you going to run? You can't govern both kingdoms at the same time, can you?" I try to wrap my mind around how this marriage would even work.

"Oh definitely not. Litus of course has an heir that is not Miola. Miola has an older brother, Fabian." Nicholas explains. "Though I'll be honest, I don't really like him all that much. He constantly disregards his responsibilities to instead go off on sea voyages."

"Wait, sea voyages? Is Litus a coastal kingdom?" I question, realizing there might be more to this world than I thought.

"Well of course, Litus roughly translates to coast so..." Nicholas nearly confirms my suspicions.

Is it possible that there are other fairy tales in this world? Fabian sounds a lot like a certain prince relating to mermaids. "What about mermaids?" I ask, looking up at Nicholas.

"Well of course there will always be rumors about mermaids showing up around Litus but mostly they keep to themselves underwater. It's nearly impossible to get in contact with them so they would have to reach out to people on land first." Nicholas explains. "I believe it's been centuries since the mermaids last contacted anyone from the surface. They really don't like to get involved in the affairs of others." Nicholas looks annoyed. "They look down on the 'land people'."

"So basically they are snooty? Pft, sounds similar to a certain royal family." I scoff jokingly.

"I'm not snooty!"

"I'm kidding!" I laugh as Nicholas gets a little annoyed. "Anyways..." I notice Nicholas isn't looking at me. "Don't take it so seriously! I'm sorry if I offended you but I wasn't being serious."

"It's not that, there's something else." Nicholas looks tired. "I might have to be gone a little bit. My father is sending me to deal with formal relations with other kingdoms before I get married."

"Oh." I try not to sound disappointed that I won't be able to see him for a while.

"Someone going to miss me?" Nicholas asked jokingly.

"Pft no." I laugh. "Try not to die while you're away." I grab the slice of cake sitting on a plate and leave to take it to Cinderella.

"Hello?" I open the door slowly. "Cinderella?"

I don't see her at first but soon find her curled up on the bed, fast asleep. I gently place the cake on her nightstand, careful not to wake her. She must have fallen asleep after all that crying. I then notice something weird.

"Why is there a half eaten cake on her nightstand?" I wonder aloud as I move closer to inspect it. I don't remember seeing her in the kitchen, could one of the maids have brought it up for her? No, that doesn't make sense either, none of the maids are obligated to serve us seeing as we are commoners. Where did this piece of cake come from?

"Cinderella?" I nudge her a little bit. "Hey are you okay?" She doesn't wake up, not even a flinch. I shake her again, this time with a little more urgency. "Cinderella!" She doesn't respond. I hold my finger under her nose to check for breathing which thankfully there is. "No, don't tell me she's been..." This wasn't supposed to happen. She isn't Snow White or Sleeping Beauty so why is this happening?

I sprint back to the kitchen, looking for Nicholas but luckily I run into him on the way. I'm out of breath but I still try to peak anyways. "Ci-Cinderella!" I gasp, in between breaths. "She won't wake up."

Nicholas looks worried. "What do you mean, is she dead?"

I shake my head. "She's still breathing, I don't know..."

Nicholas motions for some guards and hurries up the stairs with me to where Cinderella lays unconscious. Her beauty shines even as she's fast asleep, unable to wake up.

Nicholas tries to shake her awake again but it's no use. "I think she's been cursed."

I point to the mysterious cake slice that looks far more ominous than before, my arm shaking. "I found this already here when we got back."

Nicholas looks closer at it. "I'll have it checked by mages, it could be a poison type curse." Nicholas looks at the guards and they immediately take it away for examining.

"I just don't understand why anyone would do this!" I manage to say as I look at the sleeping Cinderella in front of me. "There must be a way to lift the curse..."

"Usually true love's kiss will do the trick, do you know of anyone Cinderella could have had a strong connection with?" Nicholas asks.

"She's only ever spoken to you and your cousin-" My voice breaks. "I don't know if she would want anyone kissing her without permission though but then again, its her life that's at stake and..." I can't make up my mind. On one hand she needs true love's kiss but on the other there is the risk of her being taken advantage of while unconscious.

"I don't want a bunch of guys kissing her that doesn't..." I try to convey that it doesn't seem like a good idea to let a bunch of strangers kiss a girl.

"No, don't worry, that wouldn't make sense anyways, she has no strong connection to people she's never talked to." Nicholas explains. "True love is made not found."

"Then what about you?" I wonder aloud. I quickly cover my mouth. "I mean! That's... I guess it's because you're one of the few people she's talked to."

"I don't think..." His embarrassment shines through. "Kissing is weird you know, and having my first kiss just... I guess if it's for the sake of her life though... but I..." Nicholas looks torn, he doesn't know what to do. "Kissing her while she's unconscious is unethical on the other hand, what if it wakes her up?"

"If she can't be, well, kissed awake, then there has to be another way!" I try to think back to fairy tales with sleeping curses.

"Ah, I'm an idiot!" Nicholas smacks his forehead.

"I know."

"Shut up, there is another way but it's nearly impossible." Nicholas explains.

"Nearly impossible is still possible." I warn. "Spit it out."

"Well according to some old records I came across, there should be a serum that can dispel sleeping curses." Nicholas scratches the back of his neck awkwardly. "There's only one problem."

"What?" I feel myself clenching my fists anxiously.

"It's at the bottom of the ocean, in the mermaid kingdom."