Lieutenant (Part III)

Year 4 - Lieutenant
Planet Primae

° ° ° °

As it turned out, Mason was one of Ichor's lieutenants, so it wasn't too far of a transfer, which made moving Ichor's few items quite easy. Mason was a little nervous to get a new roommate, but he knew his friend would surpass him eventually. He decided to enjoy being with Ichor while he could. 

Mason had never really had a friend before. He was either an outcast on Em or put on a pedestal, too far away from everyone else to make any meaningful connections. Ichor was the first person who took the time to get to know Mason past being an enhanced empath. He listened to Mason go on about books he enjoyed, the politics on his planet, the reform ideas he had, and the utter nonsense that were his drawings. Mason wasn't great at art, but it brought him joy, so he felt it worth continuing. Ichor never judged him for expressing himself, for being emotional, for standing behind what he was passionate about. It felt nice finally being heard, being seen.

He tried to do the same for his friend, but Ichor never shared much and he could never get a full read of Ichor's emotions. Either he was never truly anxious, confused, or fearful, or he had some power over his mind. Maybe a mixture of both. In either case, it was hard to see Ichor with other friends. He knew Ichor would never cast him aside, they'd been through a lot together over the past few years, but Mason's insecurities got the better of him. He thought that these other people might have been better friends than he was. Suddenly, he was questioning if Ichor actually enjoyed being friends with him. Did he talk too much? Was he acting too self-centered? Why would Ichor even care about him? No one else had. Why him?

"Feal."

Ichor's voice pulled Mason out of his thoughts. The other three were going back for the last of the boxes, so it was just Mason and Ichor in the captain's quarters.

"Yes?"

"I don't have to be an enhanced empath to know something is wrong." Mason felt Ichor's eyes bore into him almost as if he was searching for the truth and could pull it out should he find it.

"Why don't you leave the emotion reading to me, huh?" Mason joked.

Both men knew that was just a deflection from the implied question. But neither was going to mention that. Percy didn't want to push further until he had time alone with his friend. As if on cue, the other three entered the room.

"Where do you want this?" Andrew asked.

"I can take it," Percy said as he moved to grab the box out of Andrew's hands.

To Percy, he took the box with ease, set it on his bed, and started unpacking the planetary maps in it.

To Mason, Ichor took the box with ease as he ignored the rising anxiety, swelling confusion, and slight fear Andrew was exhibiting.

To Andrew, Ichor touched his hand as he took the box with ease, turning away thankfully before the creeping blush dusted his face.

To Marissa and Darleen, Ichor unpacked and was much less entertaining than the party going on in the meantime.

Percy picked up on Marissa and Darleen's boredom, yet remained ignorant to the other feelings in the room. "Why don't you all enjoy the party. I'm tired from the competition."

The Sahals agreed immediately before Andrew and Mason could argue otherwise. Both wanted to argue for different reasons; Andrew because he wanted to spend as much time as he could with Ichor and Mason because he wanted to see if his friend was simply oblivious to the situation. Mason also realized that a different kind of jealously might have come from Andrew's part. So as they left and bid Ichor goodnight, Mason pulled Andrew aside.

"Hey, I know we don't know each other well, but I just want to say Ichor and I are good friends. Not... well, you have nothing to worry about from me... um... competition wise..."

Andrew was certainly taken back. He didn't think he was that obvious.

"I'm an enhanced empath," Mason explained. "I couldn't help but pick up on the exact mixture of emotions that is usually exhibited around a crush. Sorry, if I'm wrong or overstepping or something. I just wanted to assure you that my relationship with Ichor is purely platonic."

Andrew, a confident lieutenant who scoffed in the face of danger, had no confidence in him anymore. "Um... thanks. Yeah, I... umm... I barely know how I feel. We hadn't seen each other in a long time, but... I wish that wasn't the case."

Mason offered a supportive smile. He thought they could be good friends one day. "I won't tell or hint at it, I promise. But if you need anything from me, Ichor related or no, I'm here for you."

Some weight lifted off of Andrew's chest hearing that. He didn't know what he would do if Ichor found out about his interest now. After three years, it seemed a little crazy for these feelings to still persist. Andrew just couldn't help himself. With a grateful upwards turn of the lips, Andrew said, "I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. You're a good man. Ichor is lucky to have you as a friend."

"You too. Or maybe more than a friend one day."

"Yeah, maybe."

"Want to grab a drink with me? Ichor doesn't approve of alcohol, so I haven't had some in a month."

Andrew actually laughed at that. "Sure thing, Mason. I could go for a nice scotch."

"Scotch? Really, Andrew? Bourbon is far superior."

"You did not just say that."

"I did too."

"Allow me to educate you then."

The two went to the bar and exchanged stories all night, stumbling back to their barracks only when the first sun started to rise. It was the start of a great friendship and wingman duo. Together, they supported Ichor to the best of their abilities. Together, they helped Ichor build a better future for the army and the planets they visited. Together, they stood by Ichor's side without question or regret. If only they could get Andrew and Ichor together.