8

Clay's POV

Clay was sitting in the meeting room two days later. There was an avid discussion about Eret and Nihachu taking place.

Wilbur had reluctantly let Karl join their meeting, seeing as Kinoko Kingdom was an ally. Karl was currently being an active participant in the discussion, but his voice didn't rise, unlike some people in the room.

"I did not say that!" George exclaimed to Wilbur, "I never gave you permission to send more scouts to L'manberg!"

"It was a decision that didn't need your approval. We've been sending scouts every month, why are you so worked up?!" Wilbur responded, clenching his jaw.

"Your decision got them killed!" George snapped, "I told you not to send them any farther than the forest near L'manberg."

Wilbur leaned back in his chair. "They knew what they were heading into when they left."

Clay grit his teeth together and rubbed his temples. Karl sat still in his seat and watched the conversation, a frown on his face.

Clay and George were informed that morning about the scouts. George had called a meeting immediately to address Wilbur's unwarranted decision to send their men further.

Quackity had informed them with a sad look on his face. Apparently, one of his closest friends was in the group sent to L'manberg.

Clay was furious with Wilbur, but he knew he'd get his time to speak. George needed to get his anger out first.

"Don't speak of our men like they're disposable," George said in a venomous tone.

Wilbur sighed. "King George, we can't keep Eret and Nihachu here forever. L'manberg is getting anxious and they're going to make a move soon."

"It's true," one of the council members added, "L'manberg's forces are going to be on the move if we don't return their leaders."

Another council member said, "We are well prepared for war. What is stopping us?"

"We are not planning to go to war," George replied, his voice cold, "I won't send our men into a war that may be preventable."

Clay nodded in approval, but Wilbur said, "We would most definitely win. You have to at least consider that."

When George didn't respond, Wilbur continued, "With the help of Kinoko Kingdom, we outnumber L'manberg's forces by a lot."

"I would like to avoid war if possible," Karl spoke up, "but if it is necessary, Kinoko Kingdom will aid Emberfall in your fight."

Wilbur nodded. "Thanks to your supply of netherite, and our skilled armorer, our soldiers are well equipped. We have excellent commanders and our troops are adequately trained."

The council members all nodded their heads in agreement.

"Also," Wilbur said, "I'm fairly certain that Nihachu lied to us about the spy. All of our men are cleared and loyal. She likely said that to get on our nerves."

Clay nodded. "We should still be on alert."

"We should also consider talking to Eret to try and see if he'll accept a truce of some sort," George said.

Clay agreed, "Eret and Nihachu could still possibly come around. There is a chance that we might be able to convince them to order their forces to stand down."

"By all means, go ahead and try to change their minds!" Wilbur exclaimed, "If you can stop them then do it!"

George stood up abruptly. "Fine!" He turned to Clay and said, "Let's go speak to Eret now then."

Wilbur's eyebrows rose in surprise. Karl just watched the scene unfold impassively. Clay stood up and he and George left the room without saying a word.

"What a piece of shit!" George exclaimed as soon as they left the vicinity of the meeting room.

Clay chuckled and ran a tired hand through his hair. "Are you sure you want to speak to Eret?"

George gave him a knowing look. "I've put this off for far too long. We need to speak to him."

Clay knew George still harbored anger towards Eret because of King Philza's death. Even though the previous king wasn't killed directly by Eret, he was killed under Eret's orders.

Clay and George walked to where they were keeping Eret. He was being held in a simple room. Not in a cell or dungeon, but a plain room with no options for escape. A guard always stood outside and made sure that Eret was alive and fed.

The guard unlocked the door to Eret's room and Clay and George walked in.

The room was basically empty. All it contained was a bed, a table, a chair, and of course, Eret. The guard brought in two more chairs for Clay and George.

They sat down and faced Eret.

Eret looked worn out, but his eyes were fiery with anger and determination. His plain clothes were rumpled slightly and he wore no shoes.

"It's about time I've had some company," Eret said gruffly as he sat down.

Clay decided to speak first, "We would like to negotiate an arrangement. If you declare peace with Emberfall and stand your troops down, we will release you... with other conditions of course."

Eret laughed. "Why would I do that?! My nation is larger in size and my forces outweigh your own."

"Not anymore," George said grimly.

Eret's grin faltered. "What do you mean?"

"Kinoko Kingdom has an ample supply of forces as well."

Eret's face fell. He glared at George and responded, "Nihachu will have a plan. She isn't my daughter for nothing."

George let out a laugh. "Nihachu? Man, we have really kept you in the dark... Nihachu is here. We captured her a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised if she was a couple rooms down the hall from you."

Eret struggled to find a response and Clay asked, "Now will you consider our proposition?"

Eret laughed darkly. "I will never admit defeat to you."

"You're going to let your pride get in the way of a possible truce?!" George exclaimed.

Eret shrugged and said simply, "It was never meant to be."

-------

a/n - you like what I did there?!

I appreciate your support :)

ily!! <3