chapter twenty nine

The silence in the car was not just excruciating, no, it was suffocating.

None of the two guys in the car dared to move a muscle in any way.

Sapnap was still sitting behind the steering wheel, his reddened knuckles on the wheel were reminding the boy next to him that he wasn't dreaming, that it wasn't a fever dream.

It happened.

And Sapnap realized it soon enough as well.

"Fuck", he breathed and laid his head down on the steering wheel.

A single tear was running down the cheek of Karl, mixing with the almost dried blood. He was trembling, chewing down on his bottom lip so much that it almost started bleeding too. He tried to prevent the whimper slipping from his lips but it was strenuous. 

The smaller boy turned his head to the side a little bit, his initial nervousness and sorrow turning even harder. He sat up straight and his hand was shaking as he tried to reach forward to the brunet in the passenger seat. "Karl? Can I?", he asked.

Sapnap's voice was having a startling soothing effect on Karl and he slouched, burying his head down in his hands. "You can't go back there", he suddenly said, his voice surprisingly audacious.

The boy in the drivers seat pulled his hand back at his tone. He watched how Karl's shaking became subside and how he tilted his head back into his nape, revealing his messed up face. Blood started to run down his neck as it was mixing with his tears.

"We should go inside and clean you up", he ignored his sentence, running circles around it to avoid thinking about leaving his mother alone with his father.

Karl only hummed and opened his door to put his feet down on the pavement outside, only to find out that he was scarcely able to really stand. He was exhausted and just wanted to get inside, into his lovely bed.

He felt his presence next to him, turning his face to him afterwards. His state was his fault, it was Sapnap's fault. He looked so sickly and it was solely his own fault. Karl gyrate his head forward again and teetered towards the house. Sapnap walked quickly after him.

He helped the taller boy with getting out his keys, he helped him after he had complained so many times, said so many times that he can walk on his own but he still had helped him with walking upstairs.

So many thoughts were running wild in Sapnap's mind as he slowly sat the boy down on the bed.

Karl had enough reasons to end whatever they had. This all wasn't good for him and definitely not healthy. Sapnap was not good and not healthy for him. God, he was making that boy suffer so much.

"You look like you want to throw up", Karl croaks.

Sapnap looked up to find his friend looking back at him. "Can I help you clean your wounds?", he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

Someone would say that the tension was so thick that you'd probably be able to cut it with a knife. But the situation was not in any way awkward. They were both completely exhausted and Sapnap felt so much guilt, it was eating him alive any time he looked at the blood smeared face of his opponent.

The smaller boy immediately stood up as soon as he heard the brunet slightly humming in permission. He was in the bathroom within seconds, his hands shaking as he wetted a towel. Suddenly, all his feelings were running up the way his throat. It was like someone lighted a fire in his chest and the smoke was finding a way out of his body, out of his chest and he let out a slight sob as his lip started quivering. "Fuck", he mumbled and wiped the few tears off of his cheeks.