chapter twenty seven

They arrived late at Karl's place and unfortunately, they even woke up his mother.

Sapnap was finally sleeping upstairs, after the taller boy needed to stay with him in his bed, holding him so close so he would eventually stop shaking. Luckily he did stop shaking after a while and because Karl wasn't tired in any way anymore, he decided to stand up and get some water downstairs. He didn't know that he would meet his mother in the living room, wide awake just like him. "You're awake?", he asked.

His mother had a cup in her hands and simply sipped at it before she patted on the material of the sofa, a sign for Karl to sit down. He sat down and sighed, tilting his head back against the head of the sofa to rest his neck on it. His eyes closed slowly as he positioned himself comfortable.

"You're alright, honey?", his mother asked with slight concern in her voice.

"Yeah, I am fine", he mumbled.

"Do you want some hot chocolate?", the smoke of the hot chocolate cup was suddenly appearing in his view and he tilted his head back down and took another deep breath, smelling the delicious smell. Karl nodded before he carefully took the cup and led it towards his lips.

"How is Sapnap doing? I saw you took him upstairs, is he sleeping?".

The brunet stopped drinking as he figured out the curiosity in her voice. He arched and eyebrow and settled the cup down in his lap, still carefully to not spill the hot liquid. "Yeah, he is sleeping".

His mother noticed his hesitation.

"You don't need to tell me anything about your guys relationship, I can practically smell that it's something different between you two, bu-" - "What do you mean? Something different?", Karl interrupted her, his curiosity growing as well.

"Oh, I didn't mean anything bad, sweetheart. I meant... you guys are a couple right?".

It was such a simple question that caught the brunet off of guard. He slightly bit dow on his bottom lip and sighed quietly. "I don't know?", the statement came off as a question, something that somehow made his mother smile softly.

"Alright", she scooted a little bit closer to him, the soft smile still on her face.

Karl frowned and titled his head . "What are you doing now? Is this gonna be a therapist session?", he joked.

"Maybe", she lifted the blanket up and slipped even closer to him, letting the blanket fall on both of them again.

"So you two aren't a couple?", her first question and he already didn't know an answer to that.

"I guess not. Neither of us asked if we want to...date", Karl answered and for some reason, he cringed at the last word.

"You're acting like a child right now, stop it", his mother jokingly slapped his arm and laughed.

"And you're acting like you're about to do a couple session with me and Sapnap".

"Thought you guys weren't a couple?".

"We aren't!".

The brunet buried his head down in his hands and sighed for the 100th time this evening.

"Are you tired, honey?", her voice was more quiet again and they stopped joking, talking more serious now.

"No, no. I'm fine", he answered.

"You don't need to talk to me about... whatever you two are. It's fine", her hand was fondly running up and down on his back and Karl felt himself growing more comfortable. He leaned himself down into her arms and cuddled himself up against her side.