Chapter 40 Ancient Watchtower

Start from the beginning

"Yes, thank you." Ye An answered as she looked out of the window, finally able to appreciate the scenery.

Noticing the emperor's yearning for the outdoors now that her stomach had settled, Xi Chen made a suggestion. "Should we go for a walk?"

Ye An turned to look at Xi Chen. "But you haven't eaten, isn't it?"

"I'm fine with skipping a meal or two." Xi Chen shrugged lightly.

"Are you sure?" Ye An asked. However, the answer that she wanted to hear from him was clear as day to Xi Chen.

Xi Chen smiled gently as he nodded. "Yes."

As they stepped out of the coach, the people who were having their meals under the clear afternoon sky were nowhere to be seen. Ye An assumed that they had all gotten into their own coaches for some rest after finishing their meal. She did take quite a long time for her meal today.

"Your Imperial Majesty." The grand eunuch greeted Ye An when he saw her exit the coach. "Are you ready to continue the journey?"

"Not quite. I'll just take a short walk before we continue." Ye An said. "I'd like to be left alone. Only Lieutenant Yun would be accompanying me."

"Understood, Your Imperial Majesty." The grand eunuch replied before returning to his place at the coachman's seat.

Xi Chen looked at Ye An as she took in a deep breath of fresh air. The mountain air cooled her airway like it carried the essence of menthol. It was the kind of air Ye An had never breathed in before, especially on an afternoon in autumn.

Ye An noticed a grove that was overgrown by bamboos near the royal chariot and walked towards it. Xi Chen dutifully followed behind her.

Only when they were a few steps into the bamboo grove that they realized there was a stone path leading somewhere. The sun shone on the stone steps, enticing Ye An to continue down the path. Taken by her own curiosity, Ye An entered deeper into the bamboo grove.

"Your Imperial Majesty, this place looks like it hasn't seen visitors for a long time. We should probably leave." Xi Chen said as he cautiously surveyed their surroundings. With the evergreen bamboos dancing lightly in the gentle mountain breeze and the orchestra of animals that still haven't died down in this part of the country, one might even mistake it to be spring if not for the chilly wind biting at their cheeks.

"It's alright, I think we're nearly there." Ye An said before turning back to face Xi Chen. "And didn't I ask you to call me Ye An when we're alone?"

"My apologies, Your Imperial Majesty. I still find it hard to call you by your given name." Xi Chen gave her a look that was similar to an apologetic kitten that made Ye An feel like she should be the one who's apologetic. She was about to look away but the rustling bamboo leaves gave way to sunlight right at that moment. The lieutenant's lightly-tanned skin seemed to glow ethereally from the rays of sunlight that were peeking through the constantly swaying bamboo. Ye An snapped herself out of her momentary reverie and turned to the front abruptly to clear her thoughts.