Chapter 18

You went back to your house together when work was over. You couldn't believe Sinclair was working with you, even just for a short time, it meant work would be more fun.

You both returned home to see a police officer at the door. You raised your eyebrows but were relieved that they were only there for the Natalie problem. Immediately Sinclair's happy and jovial attitude fell to a frown. You invited the officer in and made tea while Sinclair talked to the officer about how he and Natalie broke up. You couldn't help but listen in to hear how they had broken up on angry terms, with Natalie throwing something at Sinclair's head as he tried to get her to sign the divorce papers.

You came back in, the tea in your hand as the officer started talking again. "Would you be happy to speak in court about this?" she asked.

"In court?" Sinclair asked.

"She is going to court under the Criminal Damage Act of 1971" the officer explained.

Sinclair frowned, unsure if he wanted to try his old wife in court, but yet the house was trashed and thousands of pounds had been destroyed. "I would need to think about that further" he said, his hands wringing in worry.

"That is fine sir" the officer said. "A letter will be sent to this address when she will be sent to court"

"Of course" Sinclair said, standing and showing the police officer out before closing the door and slowly sliding down it to sit on the floor. Slowly you went and sat in front of Sinclair, worried for him as he carried on wringing his hands.

"If you don't want to, you don't need to" you said, trying to make conversation.

"I will need to think about this logically" he said, putting his head back and looking up at the roof. "On one hand I want justice after everything she destroyed" he sighed. "However, she is my ex-wife and I would feel terrible"

"I suggest sleeping on it" you said gently.

"What would you do, if you were in my position?" Sinclair asked.

"I would have no idea" you said, "I guess I would want the damages paid off but again" you sighed. "A nice dilemma we have here"

"That calls for all our wit" Sinclair said, smiling.

"Hm?" you ask.

"Trial by Jury" he said, seeing if you recognised the name.

"What?" you asked

"Oh come on (y/n)" he moaned, "You don't know about Gilbert and Sullivan?"

"Um"

"I must educate you love" he said, trying to distract himself from the issue of Natalie by opening the door and dragging you out of the house, down the street and to a record store which he bought trial by jury by Gilbert and Sullivan, only to drag you back and put it on. He sat next to you and laid his head against yours, his hair tickling your face as the light opera started playing

You listened to it with Sinclair, enjoying how he tapped his hand against your knee to the beat. It was quite short, compared to other operas and at the end of it Sinclair looked at you, wanting your opinion.

"It was great" you said, smiling. "I loved it"

Sinclair grinned. "I am glad I have found a person who shares my music taste, Natalie never had a taste in music which aligned to my own which meant there was little to talk about"

"Well we can talk about it now" you suggested. Sinclair grinned as together you started to talk about music for the rest of the night.