32. Wound

Your heart skipped a beat hearing those words from him. A tear fell down your check as he carefully brushed it away with his thumb. He didn't necessarily say that he liked you, this was no grand finale, but he wanted to make sure you were okay before anything else. That was all you needed for now. You tried to toughen up.

"Okay, so my safe house is my aunt's house, meaning I would love to not come all bloody to her doorstep." you mumbled low. Zemo laughed low before he took off his coat and carefully took it on you. "She won't see a thing, are you ready? We should get you in so I can check the wound as quick as possible" he said and offered his arm. You nodded and took his arm and stood up. You bet your under lip to hold in the pain as the two of you walked towards the door. He then took two steps backward, so you could greet your aunt in peace. You knocked on the door and it only took seconds before she opened it.

"Y/n!" she said in full excitement as she went in for a hug. Your hands formed it self as a fist trying to hide the pain. "What are you doing here?" she said with a warm smile, that you couldn't return that easily. She immediately understood what you was happening and opened the door for the two of you. "Protocol 579?" she asked and you nodded weakly. "Anything I can do for you?" she asked and looked around before her eyes stopped at Zemo. Zemo just shaked his head as an answer to her, but she didn't stop staring at him. "Irka, he is only here to help on a mission, he had a lead" you said and leaned up against the wall. "Let me guess, Karli Morgenthau" she said and finally stopped staring at him and looked over at you. You gave her a short nod.

"I'll go over to our cabin, but I'll come down and make you food in the morning and evening to make sure you have eaten." she said walking over to you and placing a kiss on your forehead. She then took her things and went past Zemo in the door "I don't trust that the royal can make food" she said as she left the house. Zemo looked back at you with shock in his eyes

"So the attitude runs in the family" he whispered. You laughed low at the comment before your knees got weaker. Without thinking Zemo went to the bathroom and found the first aid kit.

"Please, let me help you this time?" he asked softly, giving you space. You gave him a nod and took his hand as he followed you to the couch. He carefully took off the coat and took off the fabric you had wrapped around your shoulder. He looked down at what ones were a white shirt, that now was full of blood. You gave him a little nod that it was okay for him to remove your shirt.

He had done this millions of times, yet this time he felt nervous. His hands were shaking as he slowly unbuttoned your shirt. He didn't wanna hurt you, not more than he already had done. The fact that he had put you through this, made him feel sick to his stomach. This was never what he wanted. He admired you, but he never found a good way to express it, therefore he started playing games, cause it felt safer, that was until now. If he hadn't been such an idiot, you wouldn't get shot and he knew it. Deep down it had already started to eat him up.

"This gonna hurt" he whispered. He knew that you knew what was gonna happen, but he still wanted to make sure you felt safe all the way through. He started to clean up the wound with water, before doing the same with alcohol, making sure no bacteria could infect you. You tried to keep quiet, but couldn't hold in the pain in when he touched you. His heart was beating faster and faster, afraid that he might pressure you too much. You grabbed the one hand he wasn't using and when the pain became too much you squeezed it. A smile curled weakly up on his lips, it made him glad to see you holding his hand. He covered up the wound and looked up at your  face, carefully brushing away your tears with his thumb again.

"I'll lift you into bed if you only show me the way and I'll take the couch for the night" he said and stood up. You pointed up the stairs to the room on the left side. Zemo nodded and carefully lifted you up and laid you down in your bed. He helped you take off your clothes,  prepared your pillow and carefully wrapped the duvet around your tiny body. You had already closed your eyes when he was on his way to the door, but you lifted up your arm and altered the door knob and closed the door before he could walk out on you. Zemo looked confused back at you.

"Please stay, I don't wanna be alone" you mumbled almost in your sleep.

Zemo was unsure if it was a good idea. What if you only said it because you didn't want him to sleep on the couch? or if you would regret it the day after? but then again, what if you really didn't wanna be alone? What if he actually could be there to comfort you?

"Please" you whispered.

He stopped thinking the second he heard your voice again and walked over to the bed. He got undressed and laid down in the bed, but kept his distance from you as he didn't want you to feel pressured, but the distance didn't last for long as you slowly moved towards him, taking him under your duvet. You laid your head against his chest falling asleep to the sound of his heart beat.