Chapter 20 | "you already know"

Start from the beginning

Miyeon froze, slowly turning to look at him.

"Please, Miyeon, I don't want you to go. Stay with me."

"Wouldn't you rather Harin come and keep you company? I can go get her for you." Miyeon said, a bitter edge to her tone. "Don't worry, I won't bother the two of you."

"No, stop. I don't want her here. This place is for us." He raised his hand to move a strand of hair out of her face. "Just us. I only want to be here with you."

Miyeon stared up at him, seeing the fond sparkle in his eyes as he gazed at her with a smile on his face. Her heart started beating rapidly as she began to lose herself in his eyes.

"No, wait." She stepped back, breaking the moment. "How can you ignore me for weeks and then act like this? You came to see me even when I was literally just having a cut checked out, but when I woke up from a two-week coma after getting poisoned, from a mission that you had to rescue me from, you couldn't find the time? Even your brothers came to see me." She said with a frustrated sigh. "You didn't even have a second to come and tell me that you're engaged now? And then you want to go and say stuff like this, as if nothings changed?"

"Miyeon I get it, it's weird and screwed up of me and I should've come talk to you, but please let me explain." He said, his eyes pleading at her.

Letting out a huff, she nodded and allowed him to guide her to the bench on the side of the garden.

"What's going on."

"My dad was the one who sent you on the mission, and those men you fought weren't bandits... they were my father's personal soldiers." Miyeon gasped, her eyes widening in shock.

"You mean... he sent me to...."

"To be killed. That's why the blades were poisoned too." Renjun finished with a grave nod.

"But why? I thought he liked me, I-I was so careful around him..." she said shakily, suddenly very panicked.

"You were, and you didn't do anything wrong, it's my fault." Renjun said, gently grasping her trembling hands and giving them a comforting squeeze.

"Your fault?"

"You were so careful and did everything right, I was the one who wasn't careful enough." He said apologetically. "But don't worry, he's not going to hurt you."

"He's already tried, Renjun."

"But he won't now. I promise."

"How do you know that?" She whispered nervously.

"Because I'm doing exactly what he wants."

Miyeon watched as Renjun's gaze saddened and he ran his hands through his hair in frustration.

"Miyeon, do you seriously think I was trying to ignore you? I wanted nothing more than to run to you. Every day after they told me you were okay, I just wanted to go and see you, but I couldn't." He said, his eyes full of longing as he turned his gaze back on her.

"Because of your father?" She asked, causing him to nod his head.

"He wants me with Harin. And if I so much as look at you for too long, he's threatened to have you killed." Miyeon gasped. "And he would do it, no doubt."

"Renjun...."

"I'm sorry, Miyeon. But I can't risk losing you, even if it's just knowing that you're alive, that's enough for me." He looked at her with a small smile on his face. "I've missed you. I hate that girl, you have no idea. But whatever it takes to keep you alive and in my life in some way, it's worth it."

"Renjun, I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault. I want to do this."

"What would he do if he knew we were here right now?"

"He'd kill you. And probably me too. But he won't find out, no one knows about this place." Renjun said, shaking his head.

The two of them sat in comfortable silence, both processing the heavy words that hung in the air between them.

"Can I ask you something, Miyeon?" Renjun said, breaking the silence.

"Of course, anything."

"Why didn't you tell on Harin? I know you knew that it was her that threw the knife today."

"Because she's with you." Miyeon answered simply. "Up until 2 minutes ago, I thought you loved her. Hurting her would be hurting you, and that's the last thing I ever want to do."

"I definitely don't love her... I love someone else."

"And who might that be?" Miyeon asked quietly, looking away nervously.

Renjun just stared at her with a small smile, gently gripping her chin with his fingertips and turning her face to look at him.

"You already know who it is."