Chapter 4 | "maybe one day"

"Miyeon, oh my god, thank you so much!" Chenle ran over to her, crushing her in a tight hug.

They were now back at the palace, the parade having been cancelled after the attack. The King and Prince Mark would speak from the safety of the castle and it would be broadcasted to the people instead.

"If you hadn't gotten to Jisung in time..." Chenle trailed off, not wanting to think of what almost happened.

"It's fine, Chenle, no big deal. I'm just glad you're okay." She replied with a smile.

"And what about you, Miyeon? Are you alright?" Jeno asked, walking up to her.

She quickly nodded her head.

"Are you sure you're okay? I know you killed three people today..." he trailed off looking at his eye full of pity, but she just brushed it off.

Her grandfather always told her that palace-trained guards never had experience in actually killing anyone. They were fully capable of doing so but never had any experience, so this was probably shocking to Jeno and the others. Unlike them, Miyeon had killed before. No one valuable, just criminals, sex traffickers and the like, but lives nonetheless. Her grandfather wanted to ensure she was unshakable, so killing a few more attackers didn't phase her.

"Can I see your hand? I heard you caught a knife that was thrown at prince Renjun."

"You caught a knife? Like... mid-air?" Jaemin exclaimed from the couches.

"Yeah but its not a big deal. I've been trained to do that for a while." She mumbled out as she unwrapped her hand and held it out for Jeno to look at. "It didn't get cut, but there was poison on the blade. I should probably get it checked out."

"Doesn't that hurt?"

"Eh, I'm good at hiding pain. My grandfather really wanted to make sure I was ready, so a little poison isn't bad." She said with a shrug.

"Do you know what kind of poison it is?" Jeno asked, releasing her hand.

Miyeon carefully lifted her hand and examined the sores, giving the skin a quick sniff. There was a strong floral scent that made her gag.

"Something strong, but I can't tell what. Most likely a blend. But I'll be fine. As long as there's no open wound, it can't kill me."  She rewrapped her hand, sighing at the light stinging sensation on her fingers.

"Why don't you go and get that checked out now? You're off duty for a bit." Jeno suggested with a nod. "And if anything happens, we'll cover you."

She stood from her seat with a grateful nod, pulling up her mask and making her way out of the room. She wove her way through the maze of hallways, eventually finding herself at the infirmary.

"Ah yes, you're Miyeon, right? The new girl?" said a nurse as she entered.

Miyeon nodded as the nurse smiled at her, leading her over to a desk.

"Take a seat and the doctor will be right with you."

Miyeon sat down and examined her own wound, staring curiously at the skin as it reacted to the unknown poison.

What a day. She thought to herself. I'm lucky I caught that knife, otherwise this would've ended much differently.

She replayed the events of the day through her head over and over, still in slight shock from the attack. Instinctively, she reached down for her sword only to find it missing.

Right, you gave it to Renjun, you dumbass.

She groaned at herself, knowing she'd need to ask for it back, assuming he still had it. Princes could have any sword they wanted, why would he save hers?