Chapter 17 | "meant to be"

Miyeon's head was pounding and her whole body was sore. Her eyelids felt heavy, like she was even too weak to open her eyes. She spent what felt like years staring into darkness, her whole body drained of energy and screaming in pain. But today was different, the pain was dull and bits of light poked through the darkness. Slowly she tried to open her eyelids and was shocked when the light came streaming through. It took a while for her eyes to adjust, blinking rapidly to clear her vision as she sat up and looked around.

I'm in the hospital?

"Miyeon!" She turned to see Haechan standing in the doorway, a huge smile on his face as he looked at her. "Oh my god you're okay!"

She chucked as he ran up to her, giving her a gentle hug as to try not to hurt her.

"Hi Channie, how are you?"

"How am I?" He asked with a bewildered smile, "how are you? You nearly died!"

"I what?" Her eyes widened as her foggy memories slowly came back. "The mission... those men.... Renjun... he-"

"Saved your life." Haechan finished for her with a nod. "You got pretty sliced up and the doctor said the blades were poisoned."

Poisoned?

"He said you'd be lucky to live but here you are." Haechan said happily, taking a seat on the edge of her bed. "Took you long enough."

"How long have I been out?"

"Oh, about two weeks."

"Two weeks?!" She said, abruptly sitting up. "Has anything bad happened? Have there been more attacks? Is anyone hurt? How is Renjun?"

"Woah, woah calm down. You just woke up and we need you to stay awake please." Felix said, forcing her back down onto her bed. "Everything is fine, the palace has been safe. And Renjun is fine. We all are."

"Thank god, that's good." She said, letting out a deep sigh. "Where, uh, where is Renjun anyway?"

"Oh..." Haechan trailed off, rubbing the back of his neck. "He's uh, he's a bit busy right now. He's had a lot on his plate these last two weeks."

"I see... well a Prince's life is busy. What have you been up to recently?" She asked, looking around the small white room.

"Waiting for you."

She turned to him, seeing a soft smile on his face, his eyes sparking as he stared at her.

"I've been really worried, Miyeon, I haven't been able to do much on anything."

"He's not lying," She looked up to see Jeno leaning on the doorway, Jaemin and Chenle peeking out from behind him with excited smiles on their faces. "he's basically been living here."

"Jeno! It's good to see you guys." She said warmly as the three boys walked in.

"It's good to see you too kid, you really gave us a good scare." They all took seats around her bed. "But you're feeling better now?"

"I think so, yeah." She replied with a nod.

"Miyeon, its good to see you awake." The doctor walked in with two nurses and a clipboard. "Boys, I'm going to have to ask you to leave while we check up on her."

"I'll come by later." Haechan said to her, giving her hand a squeeze as the four boys left her alone with the doctor.

- - -

Over the course of the next week, Miyeon got her strength back and was feeling good as new. Haechan had spent every single day with her. Throwing knives, which was one of the few things they allowed he to do, while talking, laughing and just helping her recover. Jeno, Jaemin, and Chenle visited everyday, with Jaemin briefly taking over her role as Renjun's guard.