||Twenty Seven||-›Indulging In Desires

Start from the beginning

"I do not know who this man is, but I have some thoughts to share with him, teach him how a decent man is meant to behave!" Maxime angrily declared.

Reuben bit his lip, feeling a sharp pang in his heart. He was Jealous.

❦︎

Julius made his way to the back garden with his hands tucked into the pocket of his coat. The night was cold, the blustery wind sharp as it nipped at his cheeks, leaving it tender and flushed.

Julius spotted Lady Alice, stood by the rose bush as she promised, her long golden tresses blowing in the wind.

He lumbered towards her, his heart pounding with each step, reluctant and weary.

"You came," she smiled in sheer ebullience.

"As you said, a man cannot refuse a lady," he offered her a tremulous smile.

There was silence between them, except for the crickets stridulating and the sound of dogs barking from the kennel in the distance. Lady Alice stared at Julius like he was the most precious jewel.

"You look ever so handsome, where did you get such a lovely tailcoat?" Julius couldn't help but flinch even as she gently reached out to touch the sleeve of his coat.

"Thank you, but I do not know the answer to your question, for this tailcoat was given to me anonymously."

Alice's smile dropped, her eyes narrowed. "Is that so..."

"I hope I will not be received as uncultured, but may I ask you why you called for me in such a clandestine state? If anyone was to see us, we'd be in turmoil," Julius murmured.

"I have always desired to have a magical moment at the ball, and dancing with a man I adore seems to be an ideal way to fulfil that desire," she started. "Would you like to dance with me?" she entreated, outstretching her hand, eyes hopeful.

"I-I do not mean to be uncouth, but I cannot," Julius shook his head in despair, face ashen. It was never a pleasure to reject a lady.

"What can't you do, dance with me?" she inquired, lips beginning to quiver, eyes glazing over.

Julius slowly nodded, saddened by her sudden demeanour.

"Why-Why not," her voice wavered.

"I simply can't, I greatly apologize," Julius muttered, reaching to touch her hand in consolation.

Alice pulled away from his touch. "Do not worry about me, I understand," she muttered bitterly underneath her breath.

"I hope you-”

"I assure you, there is nothing to worry about, I am not displeased with you," she forced an unconvincing smile.

"Thank you," he mumbled, bowing his head, then teetering his way back into the manor, not wanting to look back and have her change her mind.

Julius's hand still slightly trembled as he walked inside. He carefully made his way through the crowd of people, not wanting to step on any gown or shove at the guests.

"You are Mr Cadwell, aren't you?" someone suddenly held onto his forearm. It was a woman. Her voice was wary. It seemed she had been asking that same question to each passing man that fit the brief description she was given.

"Yes, please," Julius said to the woman in the maid uniform.

"Not to be a bother, but master Reuben had asked of you. He said he would be at the place you two made a truce."