FEBRUARY, 2018

Four:

Four:

Happy and I texted at least once a day, and met up for dinner twice a week. He came to Billy's almost every afternoon with me and my house for movie nights every night whenever my parents were out of town vacationing, and we formed a solid relationship. Despite my feelings for him and the significant crush I'd formed, nothing had ever happened between us and we were only friendly. He'd become my best friend.

"Jas, you listening to me?"

I tore my mind away from wondering what time Happy would appear on my doorstep that night to marathon bad horror movies, and looked over at Jason who was sitting directly across from me, smiling largely. "Sorry, Jase, I was just thinking about the essay I've got to turn in."

He nodded his head in understanding and took my hand in his own. "You study too hard, baby. Gotta relax."

I felt guilty for lying to him and thinking about someone else while I was with him, but Happy had never given me any notion that he shared the feelings I had for him, so I'd finally decided that it was time to close that chapter. I'd been dating Jason for months, but I still hadn't brought him up to Happy, and made sure to put my phone in my room whenever I was with him so that he didn't see Jason calling or texting. It wasn't that I was hiding him, I was just ... I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

"Free Bird?"

His voice made me jump and I looked at the side of the table where Happy was standing, legs spread wide apart and arms folded across his chest. He was glaring at where I was holding Jason's hand, and I could see his jaw twitching.

He was angry. No, angry wasn't the right word. The man was furious.

"Hey, Hap." I wrenched my hand from Jason's and got to my feet so I could wrap him in a hug. "What're you doing here?"

"Came to get the guys lunch." He commented gruffly, resting his hand on the small of my back when I'd let him go and attempted to create space, effectively weighting me down in my spot so that I couldn't create any distance. "What are you doing here?"

I could hear the underlying rage in his voice and I cringed. I didn't want him to be mad at me or feel like I'd betrayed him.

"I'm Jason." Jase cut off my awkward silence by holding out his hand. "Nice to meet you, man. Jas seems to never shut up about you, thanks for taking care of my girl."

Happy let me go but didn't make a move to return Jason's shake, just turned so that our bodies were standing toe to toe and stared at me with a blank face. "His girl? How long has this shit been going on?"

I felt my cheeks redden under his harsh stare and pursed my lips. "A while?"

"Two months." Jason cut in. "We've been dating for two months now, Jas."

I wanted to scream at him to shut up because everything was crumbling around me, but Happy's jaw ticked again, a little uncontrollably, before he turned on his heel and walked out of the door without ordering anything.