WANTED A HOBBY

Twenty-Two:

Twenty-Two:

It had been two days since Happy had gotten locked up. I hadn't been able to eat or sleep, I hadn't been able to talk to him, and I hadn't been able to explain what was going on to Harry because I didn't know what was going on.

Jax texted that Lowen was on her way over to the clubhouse to talk and I was welcome if I wanted to go and hear what she had to say. Julie had been more than happy to drop her plans and come to the house to mind Harry at my desperate voice, and had basically pushed me out the front door as soon as she got there.

My feet rushed me into the clubhouse when I arrived and I found him sitting with Lowen in the room they held Church, glaring at the table in front of him like he wanted to put his fist through it. "What's going on?"

"It's a bullshit charge, Jax." Lowen tried to calm him down. "It's never going to stick. It's the Feds trying to get in between your relationship with the police now that you've gone back to the law. I bet they've heard wind of the sheriff cutting you off easy-"

Jax rounded on her, voice loud. "No, but we don't know when they're going to court to prove that. I'm never going to be able to get the money together to post bail, Lowen. Two hundred grand each?! What the fuck, we're not even breaking the law anymore!"

I quickly did the math in my head. Happy had been arrested with Juice, Chibs, Kip and Kozik. "So, that's what? A million dollars?"

Jax let out a frustrated groan and slammed his fist down on the dark wood. "I know! I fucking know. Where am I going to pull that money from? Since we've gone legit, we're not raking in the money from the guns anymore."

I ignored Lowen's pursed lips at his admittance that they'd done some sketchy shit before they'd gone legit. "Do they need cash, or will cheque do?"

"What?" The beautiful redhead looked at me surprised like she was noticing my presence in the room for the first time. I didn't take offence to that, though, the tension radiating off Jax would draw anybody's focus.

"I've never posted bail before, I'm not sure how it works." I explained. "Do they need cash or will they take a cheque?"

"They-"

Jax cut her off immediately. "Happy won't leave the others behind, Jas. He's their protection."

"I know. I know that." I dug through my purse until I pulled my chequebook out and waved it. "If these assholes break bail and cost me a million dollars, I'm going to kill all of you slowly and painfully."

"They take cheque." Lowen chimed in as she watched me write the numbers out, sign it and hand it to her.

"I'm going to have to call the bank and let them know that it's an authorised transaction." I murmured to her retreating form. "Give me two hours and then go and get our men out."

She nodded her head as she left the clubhouse, leaving Jax and I to sit in silence.

He stared at me like I had a second head. "How do you have a million fucking dollars?"

For the first time in my life I didn't feel weighed down by the money that had progressively been raising in my account since the day that I'd been gone. It had finally gone to a good cause. "My family is high in the oil business and I'm smart with my investments. I've made the right choices and they've panned out for me."

His blue eyes trailed down over my ratty pair of jeans that had holes in them from overwear and the cheap Kmart hoodie that was covering my top half. "So you've just got a spare million dollars in your bank account?"

"A couple." I coughed uncomfortably and avoided his gaze. "A couple million."

He laughed in disbelief. "Then why the fuck do you work in the garage and dress like a homeless man most of the time?"

"I needed a hobby." I narrowed his eyes at the comment of my dress sense, but chose not to focus on it. "And your books were that fucked that I couldn't not work here and leave you guys to ruin your business."

Jax sat back in his chair and shook his head, but there was a large smile on his face. He looked relieved that he was going to get his brothers out, relieved for the first time in forty-eight hours. "I don't know whether to punch you or hug you."

"Let's save all of that until after we get our boys out, yeah, Mr. President?"

———

Jax and I were waiting out the back of Stockton as there was a loud buzzing sound that signalled the gate was opening and it took all of my willpower to force my feet to stay on the road and not run to him.

As soon as Happy was in reaching distance he pulled me into his arms and buried his face in my neck. "Fuck, Free Bird, you've got no idea how much I missed you."

"How did you get us out?" Chibs slapped Jax on the back. "I thought that bail was-"

"It was Jasmine."

Happy stiffened in my arms and pulled away from me to look at me with sweltering eyes, not impressed that I'd used my savings in order to get them out of lockup, but I couldn't have left him there even if he'd begged me to and I think he got the message.

"Lass, you shouldn't have. We're not going to break bail, but your house and-"

Jax looked over at me without saying a word as Chibs carried on ranting at me about making smart decisions and how it was idiotic to mortgage my house in order to save them from getting stabbed in the courtyard. He was giving me the option to not tell them about my financial situation and let them believe that I'd threatened my livelihood by working together all the money that I could.

"I'm rich." I finally groaned and threw my hands up by my sides. "My family is rich, I'm a trust-fund baby who's got too much money to be able to spend it in the next three lifetimes. It didn't make a dint in my bank account. It's fine. You're safe. That's all that matters."

Happy growled and gripped my cheeks, staring directly into my eyes. "You're not a fucking trust-fund baby, you're a woman who's worked hard to get to where you are."

No matter how many smart decisions I'd made, the money had stemmed from what I'd had because of who my family was so, technically, I was a trustfund baby. But I kept my mouth shut and pressed our lips together to try and get some of the tension away from him.

"She just had a million dollars in her bank account?" Tig asked. "Why the fuck does she work in the garage?"

Jax laughed. "She wanted a hobby."

"She wanted a fucking hobby." Tig muttered in amazement.