"Okay my love. I'll see you at home. I love you," I say softly. The words still feel alien coming out of my mouth, but Carina is and will be the only woman I utter them to. Only her.

"I love you too," she says softly and ends the call. I immediately spring from my desk and pick up my coat and suitcase. I need to take care of some things with Lucas today and I know Carina will be at work. I don't like her or Sophia in the house while I do family business. This is the perfect distraction to keep me from stressing over what it is that Carina has to tell me.

"Cindy reschedule all my meetings and forward all my calls to my home office. I will be out of the city today," I say as I exit my office.

"Yes sir Mr. Carson," she responds. She is a very efficient secretary, and if Carina didn't know that Cindy was a lesbian she might even be jealous. I chuckle to myself as I remember their encounter. Carina wasn't in a very nice position with very little clothing on. It was honestly hilarious, but Carina was so embarrassed. She promised to never have sex in my office again. God she means so much to me. What does my darling have to tell me tonight? She sounded so worried on the phone. I can't lose her.

***
"Shoulders back and breathe Lucas. If an enemy is trying to attack you, you need to predict his movements," I snap across the gym floor. Venni and I have been training Lucas all day on his fighting style. He's not bad, but with Venni's SEAL and Ops training he will be perfect.

"Matteo we've been at this for hours. When will I learn how to kill someone," Lucas says through heavy breathes. I quickly maneuver behind him and grab his arm flipping him onto his back again.

"He who is patient will make a masterpiece, but he who is quick to finish will make many mistakes Lucas. Venni started training me when I was five years old. I was never able, and am still unable, to kill someone without his assistance. Understand," I say firmly. If I'm going to take him under my wing I need him to be like me in every aspect, and so does everyone in The Family. He nods his head and Venni begins teaching him counter moves. It probably won't be until Fall when I feel that Lucas is ready for everything, but it isn't just about what I feel. Every man from each ranking family has to make sure he passes the tests and is worthy enough to sit at the table with them. Since Frankie won't be there, I will have to take his judgement in early. "Keep at it Venni. I'm going to clean up and get ready for dinner," I pant as I get up from the mat. My body aches in places I haven't felt ache in a while. Carina knows I'm home, but didn't ask me what I was doing. She knows the answer to that question already.

I make my way upstairs and strip out of my sweaty gym clothes. I see a light flash and push down on the black intercom button. "Yes darling," I answer. Carina has been in the kitchen since she came home. It must have been a big meal because she's driving Toni crazy.

"So you finally come out of that lair of yours," she says amused making me chuckle at her playful remark.

"Yes my little minx. Are you done driving Toni crazy," I smile.

"Actually yes I am! Now get down here in 15 minutes. I don't want you all stinky while we're eating," she chuckles and hangs up. I just shake my head as I go to the bathroom to shower. What am I going to do about that woman?

***
I walk into the dining area and can't help but gasp at the scene before me. Carina is in a strapless black sundress. The bodice is tight and pushes her supple breasts up revealing more cleavage than usual, and the soft fabric flows to the floor. Her hair is in a messy bun and a few stray hairs escaped around her face. She doesn't have on any makeup, but she's glowing like I've never seen before. Her little feet are bare and I notice that she is wearing the necklace that never leaves her neck. My necklace.