Chapter 2

The first day of school is officially over! Relief washes through me while driving home. Now I can finally enjoy myself, and my thoughts while listening to some good, old-fashioned pop punk.

This year is going to be unforgettable no matter what happens. How could it not be? I'm a senior after all. These past three years have gone by in the blink of an eye. One minute my palms are sweaty as I am about to start my first day of high school, and the next minute I am celebrating my eighteenth birthday and applying for colleges.  

The short drive from school to my house ends quickly when I pull into my driveway. Our oversized house stands tall in all of its cream-colored glory. Each house on my block is shaped and sized differently, but of course, my dad had to pick the most outrageous of them all. 

There are no lights on when I walk inside, which is to be expected. I'm usually always the first one home. My parents are what they call 'workaholics', both of them work full-time. It can get lonely, especially with not having any siblings to agitate, but I'm kind of an introvert so I don't mind it all that much. 

My stomach rumbles, reminding me I haven't eaten anything since lunch. I quickly make my way over to the kitchen and grab my annual after school snack, cantaloupe, and a fruit punch today. 

The random shuffle of songs play from my phone while I change out of my school clothes. Nothing beats the feeling of finally taking your bra off at the end of the day. I throw on some loose pants and an old T-shirt, clearly dressing for comfort, it's not like I have a hot date tonight, or ever. I bust out a couple of my original moves for the heck of it while the music plays. If anybody ever saw the way I dance, they might need some therapy afterward.

I peak behind my curtains just to make sure I don't have an audience. My eyes scan the patch of grass that divides my house with my neighbors. For a second there I could've sworn I saw a pair of eyes peeking behind the berry shrub. It was probably just a bunny, I hope he enjoyed the show. 

In the same moment I just about fly through the roof when somebody's loud fist bangs against the front door. I am a tad jumpy when I'm by myself in this big empty house.  I'm hesitant to answer but I force myself downstairs anyway. I slowly twist the door nob and cautiously open the door like I'm in a Freddy Krueger horror. 

I get a glimpse at a pair of black Jack Prussels covering some very large feet. Further up is a head of dark brown hair and...blue eyes? Or are they green? "Josh?" I swing the door open and sure enough, there he is in all of his 6ft tall boyish charm. Confused is nowhere near how I'm feeling right now. Did he follow me home?

"Lila?" he answered with uncertainty as well. Maybe he didn't follow me..."You live here?" No, I just like to break into people's houses to steal their fruit punch and wear their baggy clothing.

"I've lived here since I was a baby. What are you doing here?" My question comes out a little more insolent than intended.

"I just moved into that house right there," he explains while pointing to the house directly beside mine. 

My eyes practically bulge out of my head, "You're joking." Please tell me this conceited little shit is not moving in next door to me. 

"'Fraid not, love." Judging from the grin on his face, he is obviously enjoying my frustration. 

"So, is there anything else I can do for you?" I ask after about a minute of pointless conversation. 

"Well..." he winks, "since you're offering-"

"That's not what I meant" I interrupt before he can get any ideas. "Go home, perve." I stand back to shut the door on him.

"Wait, wait, wait." He sticks his foot out preventing me from shutting it. "I'm sorry, I was just teasing you." I can't tell if he's being sincere, or if he's just trying to get me to open the door so he can hurl another one of his insults at me.