09 - candle

arlo tossed and turned in her bed. having just woken up, she was looking through a few apps on her phone. while reading a twitter thread, a text from karl came through. she happily pressed the notification and watched as her phone screen switched to the imessage app.

krl >:T
hii do u wanna hang out
today? i'm bored and
i don't have to stream

do u?

aloe :o
no i don't have anything
going on today, come over
whenever :)

krl >:T
will do :))

she looked over the texts once more before slumping out of bed. she rubbed at her tired eyes and waddled over to her closet, pulling out a sweatshirt and shorts. after dressing herself, she grabbed her phone and wandered into her living room, plopping down on the couch with a satisfying thud.

minutes passed until a knock was heard from the door. arlo gathered the strength to sit up, and flounced over to the door. she swung it open and was engulfed immediately by a bear hug from karl.

"hi arlo." he said with a smile, pulling away.

"hi!"

she led him inside and they sat on the couch, turning on netflix and choosing between a few movies. after they were settled, they watched the screen intently, stealing glances at each other every now and then.

-+-

nearly 3 movies later, arlo and karl were laying on the ground in a pillow fort, staring up at the ceiling. it was silent, aside from their quiet breathing.

arlo looked over at karl, who seemed lost in thought.

"what are you thinking about?" she asked, turning back to the ceiling.

he couldn't stop himself as the words tumbled quietly out of his mouth. "you."

arlo was taken aback. she wasn't expecting that; however, she sure as hell wasn't complaining.

"what? why?" she said, letting out a soft giggle.

"i don't know. i mean, i think about you all the time. i think about you more than i think about myself." he chuckled, cheeks turning pink as he sat up and looked down to face her.

she let herself go quiet for a moment as she sat up too. "i think about you too." she spoke quietly so that only he could hear. 

karl's lips parted slightly as he thought over his next words. "i mean.. in a different way." his voice was hardly a whisper, almost inaudible.

arlo felt her eyes go wide as the boy stared back at her. "me too."

she watched with a small smile as karl's eyes lit up. "wait, just to be clear, what way do you think of me? i need- are we on the same page?" he asked, searching the girls face for something.

"i um- you. you go first. then me." she stuttered, pointing a finger at him.

he chuckled a bit at their nerves before speaking. "i feel like a kid saying this stuff, but i like you. a lot. like, like like you. i really do, but i understand if you-" he rambled, making arlo blush a bit and laugh before cutting him off.