The Letters Left Behind

Start from the beginning

Two knights stood outside of the palace entrance. They were fumbling with a dusty journal and conversing in a hushed tone.

George picked up on the conversation.

"-Should I throw this away?" A guard whispered to the other and gestured towards the journal.

"I suppose. Be careful, though. We weren't told to throw it away." The other guard rapidly spoke as if they were committing a crime.

George approached the guards and held out his hands.

"I'll take it." George moved his hands towards the guards as if he were reaching out for the journal.

The guards frantically looked at each other and hesitated at first. However, they shoved the journal into his hands and briskly walked away.

George studied the book.

It was covered in dirty leather. It was tied shut with a button and a ragged string.

Dream's journal.

Although George would typically flip through the pages rapidly, he hesitated.

His memories of the trial resurfaced.

Did George want to remind himself of the grim reality he lived?

He walked back to the grave to place the journal by the headstone out of respect for Dream.

However, when George reached the grave, he found his fingers exploring the knot that tied the journal shut.

He had to open it.

It's what Dream would have wanted.

George knew that deep in his heart.

He untied the knot and cautiously flipped through the pages.

An entry stuck out to him.

"September 5, 1449:

I was born to die. Aren't we all?

Some die more tragic than others, however.

Some suffer more than usual.

I think I'm a part of that 'some.'

I've always had a feeling, from the moment I slashed my own families necks,

I would suffer a torturous ending.

It's unfortunate that I burn out in such a way.

I'd like to believe my family has forgiven me for not giving them a warning.

I won't be surprised if they turn their backs on me once I die.

I suffered a lot.

However, it seems that everyone I come into contact with just suffers more.

I believe an assassin is a fitting job for me.

I'm saving people from inevitable death.

I'm saving them, so they don't have to suffer through life any longer.

I hope my family is grateful for that.

I miss them.

But I did them a favor.

I'm sure my efforts will be rewarded at the end of my hateful life.

I hope this ends soon.

I miss them.

I'm alone now.