The Fables of the North

Dream gazed back on George. He mustered a dry laugh.

"Oh, George. You're too trusting for your own good. So naive, you are. You know, if I had the chance, things would have been a lot different right now."

Dream's sinister smile suddenly flipped as he studied George's freckles. They were as numerous as the stars above. His soft eyelashes danced in the kind breeze. The moonlight shone on his face, illuminating all of his best features.

Dream felt something different than usual.

He felt guilt.

True guilt.

For what?

Why was he guilty?

He did nothing wrong.

So why?

Dream's calloused hand stroked the cheek of the prince. The two surfaces collided in a texture war.

Dream looked into the stars that stared back in concern.

The twinkling streaks dashed through the heavenly body.

He spoke to the only one listening.

"What did you mean? How did you know? I couldn't have gave it away. It was perfect! My training was exceptional! So how? After all the days we spent in each other's presence, how?"

He swallowed hard, nervous, although nothing was endangering him. 

"That day, you knew, didn't you? So why? Why did you accept my offer? Why did you do it? Why?"

Dream's eyes flashed on George. George rustled in the man's lap. His soft breaths cuddled with Dream's calf.

"Why did you leave him?"

George slowly rustled in Dream's lap. His eyes fluttered open.

"Dream?"

Dream smiled sweetly at George, disregarding his prior conversation with the stars.

"Yes, George?"

"Let's go home. I'll show you to your room."

"As you wish, my Lord." Dream said jokingly, trying to recover from his terror.

George snickered at the name.

The two returned to Heaven, greeting her with lots of pets and apologies for waking her.

The duo rode under the weeping crescent. It knew of the events that had unfolded.

They snuck into the castle, narrowly escaping George's drunken father.

The night was approaching a close.

Both men were utterly exhausted. Pulling all-nighters and running through fields together drew all the energy out of their bodies.

George showed Dream to his room where he would be spending the night. The room was more significant than typical servant quarters. It had a single queen-sized bed in the corner of the room.  A meek window revealed the night sky to Dream. Other than a few candles, bookshelves, and a wardrobe, the space was empty.

George dismissed himself from the room, making his way to his own domain for the night.

Dream looked around. He wasn't tired one bit.

Dream approached the door, blocking him from the main hall. He opened it slightly to see if anyone was watching.

Carefully, he crept out of the door and made his way to the grand library.

Dream leaped through the exceptional entrance—his irises filled with wonders of all kinds of books.

He scavenged the shelves, spending the night and the approaching daybreak reading.

All he could find himself wanting to do was read more and more.

Book after book, he never felt tired once.

A single bird chirped. It was audible enough for Dream to hear.

Dream knew. Dawn broke upon the kingdom.

Hurriedly, Dream put his most recent book back into the shelf where he had found it. He scurried to his room, cautious not to make a peep. 

Fortunately for Dream, the recluse slept to the midday. Dream spent all the time waiting for George, sleeping himself. Dream could only hope to get a few hours in. 

A loud thud awoke against his door awoke Dream. He shot straight up and out of his bed.

He approached the door, attentive to his surroundings.

Gradually, he cracked the entrance. George was smiling like an idiot in the sliver of light.

"George? What are you doing?" Dream said, grateful the thud wasn't anything serious.

"Let's do something. I'm bored." George replied in a lively manner.

Dream sighed in response, tired of his shenanigans. 

"What do you want to do?" Dream heaved.

"...Clean my room," George said grimly, aware his room was a disaster.

"No way! Clean that thing yourself. I have sleep to catch up on." 

Dream was in the middle of slamming the door when George caught it.

"Now, Dream. That's not the way to talk to your king, is it?" George smirked. He knew he had Dream cornered.

Dream tried to imagine any way to escape the impending doom.

After a long thought, Dream gave up.

"Fine." 

George laughed with glee. The pair marched to the hellhole George's room was.

"George. I just cleaned this place. What did you do?" Dream quizzed, wondering how the area had become so filthy so fast. 

"No comment. Now get to work, stableboy."

Dream winced at the name; however, he began his work immediately.

While studying George's bookshelf, a single book stuck out. 

The book was a white, or so it seemed to be once. Now, it was a stained creme. The messy embroidery winked at Dream. Its pages were a yellow color, weathered with age.

He couldn't deny the intriguing features the book enticed. 

He pulled it out of its shelf. The title was slopped on with brightly colored paint.

"𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘍𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘕𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘩"

What is this book?

It was so much different than the other classics on the shelves.

Dream turned to George, the book held in his hand.

"George, what's this?" Dream inquired.

George dashed to Dream's side, snatching the book out of his hand.

"Don't touch it."

AN: guys sorry this was a weird cut off and I'm SO SORRY that I took basically a whole week to update omg but I've been busy and this was very short just cus I needed something to feed yall with ykyk but next chapter will be better and longer :) also thanks for over 700 reads?!?!?????? ily all stay safe get rest and drink water guys :)