Goodbyes

The tallies on the wall marked day 15.

Dream perched himself against a wall in the dungeon's cell and sighed as he awaited the new day. His fate lingered in the air as he pondered his inevitable death.

The knights were instructed not to tell Dream when his last day would be to torture him in a way.

Stray thoughts ran about, but the one idea that hogged Dream's mind was the curious man Dream had met only a few months ago.

He could never manage to forget George. No matter how hard he tried.

He squirmed at the thought of his regrets. 

George hated Dream. Dream was sure of it.

The cool autumn air graced the cell as it bought a light blanket of warmth before the cell returned to moist, frigid weather.

A knight's approaching footsteps broke through Dream's walls of thoughts.

"They've asked you to write any last words in this." The knight tossed Dream's journal, a quill, and ink through the cell. He nearly shattered the ink vial doing so.

Dream scrambled to find his journal. He flipped through the pages and was relieved to see they were mostly untouched.

"I thought they needed this for the evidence against me. Why would they give me this back?"

Dream was confused as to why the kingdom would hand over the evidence to Dream so carelessly.

"Don't worry. They've already copied every page in that journal on many pieces of parchment. The priest believed it would be best if you thought about your life while writing your last words."

"And if I don't have any last words?" Dream gazed purely into the guard's eyes.

The knight scoffed and turned towards the exit.

"To my understanding, I believe you have a few words you would like to say."

With a parting glare, the guard left the dungeon.

Dream stared blankly at the journal.

He first contemplated not even writing anything.

However, when Dream thought of George's mocha eyes staring into his own, his opinion changed.

The way George laughed at everything. The way George's hair flopped in the wind. The way George played the piano in such a graceful manner.

Dream realized he had almost too much to say to George.

He dipped the quill in ink and flipped to the few blank pages left in his journal.

He began to write.

Day 16.

Dream sat on the hard flooring. His body twitched in pain from his rough night's sleep.

Dream wanted to be optimistic.

He wanted to believe he would wake up tomorrow and tally another day.

He wanted to see George's face turn the corner of the stairs.

He wanted him and George to break free from the kingdom.

He wanted anything but the approaching footsteps.

Three knights came up to Dream's cell. The single candle wasn't enough to illuminate the knights as it hid their faces from Dream's view.

"It's time."

Dream stiffened but remained quiet and still.

One of the knights rustled in their pockets. They pulled a series of keys out and fumbled with the lock on Dream's cell until it opened.