Chapter 10: Bitter Sweet

It had been two weeks since your first encounter with Jack Frost. You'd been busy shooting arrows everywhere that you didn't really have time to look for memories no matter how much you wanted to.

You could've just pulled up at the toy factory, but you weren't comfortable going without Jack, ever since you embarrassed yourself the first time you'd met the group.

And even so, you didn't have any way to contact Jack since he didn't have a home, nor a phone.

You hummed a tune to yourself as you read a romance book, a blanket wrapped around at you, when you heard a knock on your window. You jerked up at the sudden noise and glance out the window.

You opened it seeing the familiar figure, "Jack, what are you doing here?"

"I needed to find you, I need you." He says in a quieter voice.

"Huh? What?" You feel a sudden sensation in your stomach, like you were at the drop of a amusement park ride. "Why didn't you come through the door or something?"

His face flushed. "I saw your friends and they looked a little intimidating so...uh yeah."

You couldn't help but laugh. "Willow's a sweetheart and Autumn's a short-stack, you're a complicated boy Frost."

The room goes quiet as you stare at each other.

He clears his throat and you snap out of his icy stare. "Come on, I want to show you something." He holds out a hand for you to take. It was impossible to say no.

"I'm still in my PJs-"

His impatient expression showed that he was really excited to hang out with you.

"Alright...alright alright, " you groaned, rubbing your eyes and sit up straight, grabbing onto Jack's hand. The cold made your body shiver, you'd have to get used to that.

Your right foot tripped on the windowsill and Jack caught you from the waste. "Woah, close one."

You quickly separate the boy from you and nod, "Yeah, thank you. Off we go then."
***

You both start a conversation very easily. That's what you like about him, it was so easy to just talk and talk without feeling discomfort or awkwardness like you'd known each other your whole lives.

You gotten lost in talking about yourself for a bit, looking straightforward. After about 5 minutes, you realized that you were rambling and look back at the boy in embarrassment.

He didn't seem to mind, he was looking at you dreamily, smirking.

"What are looking at me like that for?" you snicker, tilting your head to the side.

"It's nothing, really." He continued to smile, clearly holding something back.

"C'mon Frosty, spill." You nudged his shoulder with yours playfully.

"Fine, " he puts his hands up in defeat, "It's relieving to see you rant. After all this time, I didn't expect to be in this position again. With you actually in front of me, talking to me. Not just the same conversation we had a decade ago replaying in my mind."

You listened thoughtfully. You'd always hoped there was someone out there who knew the past you, but at the end of the day, you always reminded yourself that it was just a fantasy. Now that this fantasy became reality, you weren't sure what you were feeling.

Before you could respond, Jack stopped in front of a supermarket.

"I don't mean to be a thorn in your side but, what are we doing at a grocery store?"

You follow him as he steps inside the store. "I want you to give you the memories I'm able to. So, " he does jazz hands, "I brought you to your old job!"

Your face suddenly lights up and you give Jack a quick thankful hug before looking around I awe.

You expression was an adorable sight to Jack.

A wave of nostalgia rushed over you as you entered the candy aisle. You stopped dead in your tracks, one of your episodes playing out.

It was from a different pov, you were looking at Jack from a register.

You looked straight ahead at the register, your register.

A man, he looked like he was in his late 20s, stood at the register talking on the phone with someone. He was white with brown hair. He looked pretty average, but for some reason, the energy around him pulled you in.

"Sophie, I'm not picking you up from your dorm. I'm stuck on double shift, you're 22, buy a bus ticket to my house, you have a spare key right?..."

You hesitantly raised your hands up to touch his face.

Frost watched from a distance, surprised by the fact you didn't go through him.

A name popped into your head.

"...Jamie."

The man's eyes widened as he shushed Sophie for a moment. He stood there in silence for a moment, aware of his surroundings. You flinch, but he doesn't see you.

Jamie pauses before putting the phone back on his ear. "...Nothing, I just thought I heard someone. It's just my mind playing tricks on me though." He shakes his head.

'Woah' you mouth at the Guardian.

He looked just as surprised as you did.
***

"I've never gotten that reaction out of someone before," you say, walking back with Jack to your home, "no mortal has even acknowledged me, what do you think that means?"

"This is probably me just reaching, but I have a theory." Jack finally says after some thinking.

"What?" You ask, all ears.

"Well, people don't believe in Cupid right?"

You nod.

"But when you passed, it hit people hard. Maybe they believe you lived on in their hearts, but since Cupid and Y/n are two halves of you, it works in some kind of weird way. Like a mid-range situation."

He looks at you again.

"But that's just a theory."

You think about Jack's little theory some more, approaching your house.

Before walking into your home, you turn back to the pale boy, "Thank you, for everything."

A/n: Sorry for this random short chapter, sometimes there will be chapters to help transition to the next section of my book. Again, sorry if it was underwhelming, I promise this shit's about to pick up.

Until next time