Chapter 37 - Gone Astray

The two body guards stood at the ready with their swords drawn, though both looked shocked by what they found.

Asher jumped up to quickly fix his clothes, while Leon maintained his composure. The creature did not look embarrassed in the least as he faced the woman head on.

Elise almost couldn't decide who to glare at once the two were separated, but eventually she settled on Leon. "I heard strange noises and grew concerned when you didn't answer. I thought perhaps the witch had returned and you were in trouble, but it seems I was worried for the wrong reason..."

Asher sat frozen on the bed, wondering if he should be helping Leon rebutton his shirt. When the beast shifted and his pants remained caught around his hips, the servant swallowed his embarrassment and awkwardly helped redress his master. Everyone in the room waited quietly as he worked.

Once again, Leon was utterly unashamed. Elise waited for an explanation, but the beast did not offer one and eventually she scoffed.

"So this is what you're into? All this time I've poured my heart out, helping you, but you were going behind my back with a servant?"

"Asher was here long before you were." Leon replied.

"He's a man!" She spat, momentarily losing her composure. "This is a sin!"

"You want to talk about sins?" The beast stepped forward, now redressed and unbothered. "Tell me what you were doing with my seal?"

Elise's lips pursed at that, and he could tell her mind was working frantically to come up with an excuse. "I needed it to convince my knights that your servant could be trusted."

"If that was all, then why not tell me about it? You know how serious of a crime it is for someone to plagiarize the King's signature!"

"And would you have allowed me if I had asked?"

"Of course not! Only in dire emergencies is the seal to be used!"

"And that's exactly why I didn't say anything. I knew you'd ask for an explanation, but I didn't think you'd enjoy knowing what sort of reputation your servant had back home." She hissed. "My own knights would have been led to believe he had dragged me into the woods and raped me if it weren't for that seal."

"That's ridiculous!" The beast rebuffed.

"Ask him then!" She nodded towards Asher, who was trying to blend into the floor.

The beast held a protective claw out, blocking the servant from view. "If he wanted to tell me, he would have."

"Then allow me to elaborate. He's a womanizer, according to the town. All those women he's been bringing back to you, the villagers think he's fooling with them. They even claimed some were going missing. Why do you think he was so injured when he arrived here with me? They were on the verge of creating a mob and chasing him out of town!"

Asher felt like that was an exaggeration, but he could also see that happening considering how badly he was getting treated lately.

Now the beast peered at him, a question in his eyes. "Is that true?"

Asher felt sorry that he hadn't given such details to Leon. At most, the guy only knew that he was in trouble with the church, and that people considered him weird, but he hadn't mentioned in detail how he had been getting targeted by the village men, or the rumors. After hurting his arm, he never got around to explaining where his other injuries had come from. He just wanted to pretend everything was fine while he was at the castle.

But no. This bitch had to bring that all up.

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Asher nodded solemnly.