Chapter 21 - Is That A Contract?

Donna, with all her experience, was very well prepared for the trip. As a merchant, her father had taught her how to find the best trade routes to get equipment for her wares. Thus she had gone on similar trips many times before.

Asher was glad he didn't have to worry about sharing rations or buying extra gear for the woman. She was pretty independent in her own right, though she did come off as a bit blunt at times. Unlike most of polite society, she did not greet people with a smile unless she already knew them. She also didn't bother with niceties and would often get straight to the point in every conversation she had.

She explained early on that she was not one for long discussions, but was willing to listen if Asher felt like talking anyways. This made it clear that Theo had probably talked the woman's ear off and took her lack of replies as being friendly.

As they set off, the servant spotted Cas watching them from near one of the shops. His arms were folded and he blatantly stared Asher down the entire time. The man's eyes did not stray from them until he was out of sight. Asher decided to take his mind off it immediately since Cas had always been a sour character and was probably jealous that the lowly servant had made off with yet another beautiful woman. 

Speaking of, he wondered if Donna would be a good match for the Prince? He wasn't very polite himself, and conversations with him were tedious since he got irritated very easily. 

Should Asher be more quiet around him? Would the Prince appreciate that?

Whether that were the case or not, he was going to get his answer soon enough once Donna and Leon met face to face.

Crossing his fingers, they stopped near the front of the castle after a long trek. Donna dismounted without even bothering to tie her horse up.

"We won't be long." She explained and approached the large double doors.

Asher followed suit, planning on taking care of the animals once they got done with their initial greetings. If things went well then she would most likely be staying longer than a few moments like she planned.

The doors opened wide and the sconces burst to life once more. This time he led her straight to the waiting room, having memorized his way around since last time. He took her cloak and hung it up as she took a seat by the fireplace. Then he stepped out to look for the beast.

Awkwardly, he leaned closer to a nearby wall and whispered into the stones. "Can you let Leon know that I've returned?"

He was only half expecting a reply, but the elevated murmurs that he got in response were as close to confirmation as he was going to get, so he stood outside the door and waited. When he heard the telltale clopping of hooves echoing down the halls, he bowed politely.

"You said you'd be back last night." The beast grunted.

Asher straightened and noticed the Prince was once again dressed in his formal attire. His crisp white coat, silk pants, and gold buttons looked quite impressive.  "I got held up. The woman I found this time is named Donna, and she said she'd be willing to meet with you to help break the curse, but she was...Busy. So we couldn't leave till this morning."

The beast glanced inside the room and spotted the woman sitting, cross legged in a chair by the fire. She was watching the flames as she waited.

"I suppose I should go greet her then..." The beast muttered to himself, seeming already irritated.

"Yeah...Uh...Just so you know. She isn't aware that you're the Prince. I didn't want rumors spreading around the kingdom so she thinks you're one of my friends."