Taking my last breath

Today was lacey's check up with the Diabetic team of specialist Doctors at North east General Megan's old hospital to check on her sugar levels and how she was doing with her new pump. So Megan, Maddie and lacey walked over to the reception desk.

"Dr Hunt...How can I help you?" the young blonde receptionist said greeting them with a warm smile. Megan returned the smile "Hi...Tracey, my daughter Lacey Fleming is here for a check-up," Lacey looked at the receptionist who smiled at her.

"Wow this isn't little lacey and oh... wait that is not Maddie?" Megan smiled "yes, that's Lacey she is 12 now and Maddie is 14" the receptionist shook her head in disbelieve. "Wow.... they are so grown up ....if you want to take a seat, someone will be with you shortly, you know your mother was the best surgeon we ever had and everyone looked up to her? Some called her Hitler, because she used to really work her interns harder than anyone else," The receptionist said to Maddie and lacey who looked shocked "Really everyone looked up to mom?, I mean I can believe the Hitler bit actually," Maddie said chuckling and Megan glanced at Maddie who stopped laughing straight away.

"Well it was good seeing you again Dr Hunt" Megan smiled "Thank you too" and took a seat with lacey and Maddie following.

Maddie sat in the chair texting her friends whilst lacey sat there quietly doing her art homework, which was a percentage of her grades. Megan sat the other side of lacey texting Aiden who was away on business in the UK.

"How much longer will it be, I'm so bored" Maddie said to Megan glared at Maddie "Stop moaning, it won't be long" Megan said sharply to Maddie who went back texting her friends. Maddie had a strange feeling that something was hanging over her but, she just pushed it a side

"Lacey Fleming, please" a small brunette lady who had dark blue scrubs with glasses asked with a warm smile seeing Lacey. "Hi there sweet, don't be so nervous everything will be alright and after a couple more checkups you will be a pro at this," the Nurse said placing her arm round a shaking lacey. Megan, Maddie got up and followed the nurse and lacey as she lead them to a row of cubicles with other people who clearly also had diabetes and going through the same thing a lacey, there were all ages.

"If you could pop yourself on this bed please, lacey" lacey nodded and climbed on to the bed. Megan stood by lacey and placed a hand on her shoulder whilst Maddie held lacey's free hand "You can do this" Maddie whispered to lacey who smiled at Maddie.

"Alright, I just want to give you a spot test, if that's alright with you sweet" lacey nodded and put her finger ready for the lancet to prick the blood. The nurse took the lancet and pricked lacey's finger then picked up a testing stick and placed in on top of the drop let of

Blood on lacey's finger and then put the testing strip in the machine and then they waited whilst lacey's sugar levels came through.

"Oh excellent" the nurse said sounding pleased.

"So, everything looks good?" Megan said giving lacey's shoulder a small squeeze.

"Oh yes Dr Hunt, It looks like the pump is working perfectly for lacey as it had kept her readings down since her last test here. The Doctor would like to see lacey but, he's been held up so are you able to hang around here to see him?" Lacey looked up to Megan who nodded "Yes, that will be fine no problem" Megan said smiling at her youngest daughter.

"Alright I will let him know you are here, is there anything I can get for you a drink or anything?" they all shook their heads and thanked the nurse before she left them to it.

"Oh lace, that's so good, see I told you it would be fine," Maddie said climbing on the bed with lacey.

"Maddie, can you get off the bed please seeing as you're not the patient"