Epilogue

And that was it. Everyone she cared about was gone. She stood in the foundation of her house; her grief so strong it made her numb. She pulled up the hood of her vest desperately wanting to be left alone. Monica soon joined her side.
"You did it," she remarked, "you actually did it."

Wanda didn't answer, she just pressed her lips together and nodded in agreement. She had seen many movies and shows portraying people fixing their mistakes as a good thing, something that made them feel better. She couldn't relate. She simply felt like disappearing into the unknown and never being seen again.
"You know, I don't think I would have had the strength to do it, had it been me," confessed Monica. "I would have done anything to get my mother back, I can only imagine what you're going through." The woman gently put her hand on Wanda's shoulder, making sure to be slow enough so she wouldn't intrude her personal space. When no protests came, she squeezed lightly. "I'm here for you if you need me."

As they reached the town square, Wanda did her best to ignore the hateful glare of the citizens she had tortured over the last week. She wished she could tell them she didn't know, but she was sure no apologies would be enough. Lost in her self-deprecating thoughts, she was surprised when Monica spoke once again. "So, who was the guy who played your brother? We never could identify him. Yet I can see that his family found him."

Wanda didn't answer as she looked up at the X-Men. Her brother was deep in conversation, probably telling them about his time in the town. She quickly changed outfits, feeling more comfortable in her newest costume. The Scarlet Witch, as Agatha called her; she liked the name. She was about to fly away when Peter suddenly appeared at her side.
"Wanda, don't go."

She froze in place; he didn't seem mad at her, but she didn't want to push her luck. Hatred came in many forms. Since she wasn't talking, Monica spoke up.
"Hi again, I don't know if you remember, we escaped the witch's house together?"

Peter chuckled and nodded. "I do, that was wild."

Wanda could feel Monica's question, and the hesitation that came with it. "I know I've asked you before, but who are you?"

The silver haired man looked at the redhead, silently asking for permission. She couldn't figure out why he'd even care about her opinion, but she nodded, nonetheless.
"I'm Peter Maximoff, I'm from a different universe."

That certainly took the S.W.O.R.D. agent by surprise, she looked at both of them, wondering if it was a joke. She had many more questions, but she felt that the Maximoffs needed to talk. With a nod, she walked away to join an Asian man. Probably a friend of hers. That left Wanda and Peter alone, both wondering how to start the conversation.
"So," started Peter, scratching the back of his neck. "Thanks for releasing me."

Wanda scrunched her face in shame, why had she even thought it was a good idea? "I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly. I just wanted my brother back and you already wanted to leave, and I just couldn't-"

"Hey, it's alright. I mean, obviously it wasn't fun, but it wasn't as bad as witchy over there," he said, pointing at Agnes who was seemingly flirting with police officers. "You wanted me there, so I wasn't really controlled, I was just sure I was Pietro Maximoff."

Running a hand through her hair and taking a deep breath to shake away her teary eyes, she finally looked at him in the eyes. "So, you're not... mad?"

Peter blinked and cleared his throat, "Well, obviously I'm not pleased, but I think I would have done the same thing, had I been given a chance to see Wendy again."

They walked over to a secluded bench that somehow hadn't been destroyed by the battle. Wanda kept fidgeting with her fingers, the occasional glares of people mixed with the grief and guilt she felt made an interesting combination of emotions. Peter pulled her into a hug, and she held on for dear life, not wanting to be alone again. "I like the outfit by the way," whispered Peter in her ear. "Might not believe me but it's very similar to my dad's. Irony of the multiverse I guess."