Sixty-two

Tired.

I was so tired.

Labour is supposed to be a beautiful thing. It hurts, you scream and you push and then you have your baby in your arms.

I spent my labour, crying my eyes out, crying for Charlie who wasn't there. Avalon was by my side through the whole thing, holding my hand.

I was in labour for almost two days. I pushed for hours... two babies came out of my vagina.

Two small identical twin boys with red hair. They both looks exactly like Charlie, apart from the hair which was more the same red shade as mine, and then there was the freckles. So many and so dark, all over their faces.

When I laid there with my boys, looking at them, I cried again. I cried because they looked like their father and it hurt.

I cried because I had this feeling deep down in my stomach... that he was dead. That Charlie was gone. That he no longer walked among us.

It had been about twelve hours since I gave birth. My entire family had seen the boys, but currently it was Brazier and Romany in the room with me.

Brazier sat in his wheelchair, holding Caspian, and Romany sat in a chair next to him, holding Marino.

"So like... does it hurt?" Brazier asked with a grin, staring down at his nephew before looking up at me.

I pulled myself up to sit, looking at him like he was crazy.

"Are you asking me if pushing out two whole babies hurts?" I asked. "Try pushing two watermelons out of your fucking arsehole."

Brazier raised his eyebrows before looking at Romany.

"I think she's a bit aggravated."

"She just gave birth to twins." Romany said. "We've been over this. Giving birth to twins is hard. That's why mum hates us."

I looked up at the ceiling, closing my eyes as memories flooded my mind. Memories of Charlie.

My body jolted as I woke from another nightmare, tears staining my cheeks and a gaps leaving my mouth.

My mind kept replaying what I saw in the dream, but then I heard the shush in my ear and I noticed the arms wrapped around my body.

I knew who it was, and I didn't care that we weren't together anymore. I let my body melt into his, my eyes closing. I simply enjoyed that he was alive and not dead like he was in my dream.

His fingers repeatedly ran through the front of my hair, threading into it as his other arm held me tightly. That's what he did every time I woke up with a nightmare before he left. He knew exactly how to calm me down, how to comfort me.

"You're okay." He whispered into my ear. "It was just a nightmare. It wasn't real. You're okay."

"Ember?" Romany asked. "You good?"

I opened my eyes and looked at my two younger brothers while I sighed.

"I'm okay."

I pulled my feet over the edge of the bed to stand up. My legs and vagina were achy, but I needed to stretch my legs.

"He might be out there." Romany said. "You don't know if he's dead."

I shrugged.

"No, he's... yeah he's gone." I said, folding my arms over my chest as I walked to the windows.

It was late at night so it was dark outside, but the sky was clear and the stars were visible.

"Ember—"