Thirty-seven

A few days passed and I had had no contact with Charlie whatsoever. I did miss him but I felt happier after the four days of constant fights. I was still tired but I figured that was from working the shop.

I had only been on my own for two days, so while I did feel a little better, I was still exhausted from the stress, my entire body and mind weak.

I hadn't actually expected Charlie to leave me alone. I expected him to write me and keep pushing my boundaries like he's done a lot lately. I was really grateful that he did give me space but I still missed him.

More specifically, I missed the good times with him. The cuddling, the kisses, the affection.

Today I've been hiding away in my office. I didn't have any meetings today so I just sat here and did some financing while my sisters were working out in the front of the shop.

There was a knock at my door, making me jolt. I had been way too focused on the financing that I had drowned out everything around me.

"Come in!" I called and sat up straight in my hair, running a hand over my tired face. The door opened and I sighed when I saw Brazier stand there. "Aren't you supposed to be looking for jobs?"

He walked in and closed the door behind him before he walked over to sit on the sofa against the wall.

"That's why I'm here." He said. "I am searching but I can't exactly find anything and I'm in need of money."

He rested his elbow on the armrest and looked at me with puppy dog eyes and a pout on his lips.

"And I've got money." I breathed. "You cunning little shit."

Brazier let out a breathy laugh as he sat upright and waited for me to give in and write him a check.

I glanced towards the door, then looked at my brother again.

"I swear to god, if Romany is about to walk in, I will—"

Brazier cut me off by whistling with two fingers in his mouth. "Oi! Romany, she's onto us!"

A second later, the door opened and the other twin walked in, a shy look on his face. He closed the door behind him and took a seat next to Brazier.

"Why am I always the one you come to for money?"

"You're basically rich." Brazier scoffed. "You just choose not to use them on anything you don't need which I think is ridiculous. If I were you, I'd always have bought a mansion and three cars."

"Why would you need even one car?" I asked. "It's much cheaper to use the floo system or simply apparate."

Romany didn't say anything. He was more shy of the two and Brazier was the one who always ended up dragging him along to all of his plans.

"And that's your issues, Ember." Brazier explained. "You act like money is an issue for you and we all know it's not. It's not about what you need. It's about what you want and I would want a mansion and three cars."

Why did mum and dad not stop after Amethyst?

"I'm not going to give you any money." I said. "If anything, you owe me money for ratting me out to the whole family about the pregnancy. I'd like a refund so instead of giving you anymore money, I can hire you to work for me. I need someone to take over the financing and I know you've always been great at numbers."

Brazier sighed loud and dramatically, looking at Romany before looking at me again.

"Just because I'm good at it, doesn't mean I like it." He said, raising his eyebrows to show how serious he was being.